Dogs killing rabbits - am i in trouble?

But they have to prove that you intended to allow your dog to chase a wild animal. If you are genuinely just out for a walk and your dog accidently finds and chases something, you are not liable to prosecution...........it was an accident, and like you say, dogs chase things............BUT how they (the powers that be) interpret your explanation, should you be seen or caught with a dog that is chasing, depends largely on what sort of dog it is and whether or not you appear to be the sort of person who would deliberately want their dogs to catch animals.

I don't know if there have been any prosecutions of people whose pet dogs found and chased a wild mammal without the owner's intent: has anyone heard of any such cases?

I agree, and in this instance, as long as the op isnt wearing full camo and carrying a game bag im sure it wouldnt end with a prosecution. Atb

SO if I was wearing a Bright Yellow Hiking jkt.and my lunch bag it would be O.K. :hmm: Why should the type of Attire anyone chooses to wear,make them anymore likely to be committing a crime in the eyes of the Law ? Shouldn't make a blind bit of difference..

E . C. your dads taught you well,good info...I'm off to stumble across a few Squirrels for the 1st time with the pup. :whistling:

It dosnt make it ok but it would be easier to feign ignorance! People would have a different perception of you, would they not? The law is black and white, chatting shit to coppers is not though. Many people have talked there way out of a situation and I stand by my original post. Not looking like a hunter makes you seem less likely to be a hunter. Atb

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your a bona fide poacher! Welcome to the community and atb. Wally.

you'll probably get twelve months but don't worry you'll be out in six.

The law does not write down all variables. Quite simple really....you have to prove your innocence. You knowingly allow your uncontrolled dogs to be unleashed in areas you know they may chase and/or

But they have to prove that you intended to allow your dog to chase a wild animal. If you are genuinely just out for a walk and your dog accidently finds and chases something, you are not liable to prosecution...........it was an accident, and like you say, dogs chase things............BUT how they (the powers that be) interpret your explanation, should you be seen or caught with a dog that is chasing, depends largely on what sort of dog it is and whether or not you appear to be the sort of person who would deliberately want their dogs to catch animals.

I don't know if there have been any prosecutions of people whose pet dogs found and chased a wild mammal without the owner's intent: has anyone heard of any such cases?

I agree, and in this instance, as long as the op isnt wearing full camo and carrying a game bag im sure it wouldnt end with a prosecution. Atb

SO if I was wearing a Bright Yellow Hiking jkt.and my lunch bag it would be O.K. :hmm: Why should the type of Attire anyone chooses to wear,make them anymore likely to be committing a crime in the eyes of the Law ? Shouldn't make a blind bit of difference..

E . C. your dads taught you well,good info...I'm off to stumble across a few Squirrels for the 1st time with the pup. :whistling:

It dosnt make it ok but it would be easier to feign ignorance! People would have a different perception of you, would they not? The law is black and white, chatting shit to coppers is not though. Many people have talked there way out of a situation and I stand by my original post. Not looking like a hunter makes you seem less likely to be a hunter. Atb

You have just answered the Q...Perception !,the public/police have and are using Profiling,against what appears to be a Hunter.

If the same person goes about the same action,but does not appear to be a Hunter/Hunting they can,on the whole wriggle/give their deepmost apologies,scold their wards and be on their way !The need for Camo, in Hunting is by and large a Fashion thing,Identity,confirmation of ones peers if you like..Mooching around with,non dicript hunting companions and every day wear,will by and large not draw any undue attention,other than a "Dexter" moment.. :thumbs:

To the original postee,Hunt away !,Eh ! I mean enjoy your strolls :whistling:

• Like 1

Yup. Unless you have permission you are breaking a law. Someone has to see you , and then make a complaint though, otherwise ,,fill yer boots. I`d love to see a Cairn catch a rabbit, lol

Hope you eat the rabbits, and don`t give the dog a row ! hahaha

The cairn has caught 2...a couple o shakes and its good night rabbit! Yes i let them eat them, no point in wasting it but like i say, i'm not intentionally hunting so just wasn't sure on the law. A lot of dog walkers must find their dogs take off after a critter, FENTON anyone? lol. Just wanted to know the situation thats all. Cheers.

If your dogs are eating the rabbits whole, beware of liver flukes!

You have just answered the Q...Perception !,the public/police have and are using Profiling,against what appears to be a Hunter.

If the same person goes about the same action,but does not appear to be a Hunter/Hunting they can,on the whole wriggle/give their deepmost apologies,scold their wards and be on their way !The need for Camo, in Hunting is by and large a Fashion thing,Identity,confirmation of ones peers if you like..Mooching around with,non dicript hunting companions and every day wear,will by and large not draw any undue attention,other than a "Dexter" moment.. :thumbs: Got the name of that daft LAB, wrong :icon_redface: .

To the original postee,Hunt away !,Eh ! I mean enjoy your strolls :whistling: