The problem is, if you go away for a few days or on holiday, and you have to use kennels, they wont accept the Dog unless its boosters, and kennel cough vaccine are up to date.

Also as far as i am aware needs to be up to date if your dog/s are insured.

i thought this but ive got mine insured without boosters and declared this there was no difference in price same price either way.

• 4 months later...

The problem is, if you go away for a few days or on holiday, and you have to use kennels, they wont accept the Dog unless its boosters, and kennel cough vaccine are up to date.

We just take ours with us now. To got to France was dead easy, just needed rabies jab and tapeworm before coming home.

My vet has just told me that they are recommending THREE initial puppy jabs now: because maternal immunity is lasting longer than it used to, due to bitches being in better health, better cared for etc.

Has anyone heard this? Is it just another rip off vet scam, or is there really evidence to back up this information? They now recommend getting a third jab at around 16 weeks.

My vet has just told me that they are recommending THREE initial puppy jabs now: because maternal immunity is lasting longer than it used to, due to bitches being in better health, better cared for etc.

Has anyone heard this? Is it just another rip off vet scam, or is there really evidence to back up this information? They now recommend getting a third jab at around 16 weeks.

i have only ever given pups one jab at 12 weeks and the a booster at 12 months then every 2 years there after.

a booster is just a top up from the 2 jabs when they where pups .if you do miss the booster then yea start a fresh.if you look on your vet card it may say it.

a booster is the same as the 2 jabs given at 8 and 10 weeks by your vet. :yes:

when there imune there imune end off do you go and get a measels jab every year ? no , vets jab to early anyway your better of waiting untill the pups 12 weeks then doing it , with our s they get a 8 in 1 jab at 12 --14 weeks and thats it if they live 8-9 year old they may have a booster and never had problems

I do pups at 8 weeks for parvo then at 12 weeks with a combination vaccine (7 in 1) then the same vaccine for a booster at 12, 24 and 36 months then nothing

I will give a lepto only booster of there is any ratting planned but haven't had any for ages :-(

Once the dogs immunity is achieved after year three there's no need for boosters at all

I read the blurb that comes with vaccines I use (Vanguard plus 7) and it says that in some cases a further dose will be required four weeks after the first dose, doesn't say why or when though !!

Just to add that these vaccines cost between £6 and £10 for the vet to buy and they charge them out at some pretty ridiculous prices, I have heard of a vet local to me charging £90 for two vacs, one parvo and one multi, and they're crap ones that don't have a lepto vac in them, some vets are good, most vets are just very very greedy

Edited by ginga john