rabbit closed season

whats the opinion on a volountary close season for rabbits ? us old boys never hunted bunnies if there wasnt an R in the month ! all you hear is theres no rabbits anymore ,where have all the rabbits gone ! well the poor feckers are hunted ,shot ferreted lamped snared hawked longnetted you name it , they have it , in our times there was no NV THERE WAS MIXI BUT STILL 10000S OF RABBITS so how can they survive if they dont have time to breed ???? right lads feel free to abuse me ,i expect it :angel: .them who know the countyrside & proper fieldcraft what do you think :thumbs:

• Like 2

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It comes down to shooting for sport or shooting for vermin control again.   Rabbits are not too big a problem my way because of the terrain, with most problems coming from forestry, paddocks or larg

whats the opinion on a volountary close season for rabbits ? us old boys never hunted bunnies if there wasnt an R in the month ! all you hear is theres no rabbits anymore ,where have all the rabbits

in theory for sport i agree but rabbit is a pest species under the genral licence it doesnt stop eating crop or undermining hedgrows for 6 months of the year so its fair game all year for me ... term

Posted Images

whats the opinion on a volountary close season for rabbits ? us old boys never hunted bunnies if there wasnt an R in the month ! all you hear is theres no rabbits anymore ,where have all the rabbits gone ! well the poor feckers are hunted ,shot ferreted lamped snared hawked longnetted you name it , they have it , in our times there was no NV THERE WAS MIXI BUT STILL 10000S OF RABBITS so how can they survive if they dont have time to breed ???? right lads feel free to abuse me ,i expect it :angel: .them who know the countyrside & proper fieldcraft what do you think :thumbs:

times are changing i thought like you for years, but now there is no defined breeding season they breed all year round wether that be down to climate change or evolution who knows january and march :laugh:

post-896-0-32476400-1335293512_thumb.jpg

well mate here goes! just kidding though as im old school and wont shoot a rabbit this season or maybe not this year! their numbers are at a shocking low around here and i for one wont shoot any until i think theres enough to pick a couple off

• Like 1

well mate here goes! just kidding though as im old school and wont shoot a rabbit this season or maybe not this year! their numbers are at a shocking low around here and i for one wont shoot any until i think theres enough to pick a couple off

now thats proper knowledge of shooting & nature fair play to you , some farms i shoot are swarming with them ok selective shooting is fine ,but lads with very few bunnies are not as fortunate & i realise they need to shoot , but on the whole let them have some time to recupperate a bit

Its a nice idea, so that there are higher stocks of quarry for when you do shoot...

But i wont be participating, my permissions ask me to shoot as many as possible ( horse paddocks mainly ) as they damage the paddocks which could lead to a horse injury.

ATB

Adam

in theory for sport i agree but rabbit is a pest species under the genral licence it doesnt stop eating crop or undermining hedgrows for 6 months of the year so its fair game all year for me ... terms of my permision is to keep the rabbit numbers down

• Like 2

fair replies lads ,i have some permissions that require that ,but do we all not secretly leave the little ones for a bit later :whistling:

on my permision it gets harder anyway in the summer months with the crops and cover up so nature has its own way of dealing with it :thumbs:

It comes down to shooting for sport or shooting for vermin control again.

Rabbits are not too big a problem my way because of the terrain, with most problems coming from forestry, paddocks or large private gardens.

Although I shoot quite a few rabbits I generally only shoot them for the pot, for the ferrets, for somebody else's pot, for bait or to order. Unlike foxes I shoot, rabbits to me are generally sport shooting, hence the reason I will not abuse them. Another reason of course, is that I love my ferreting.

When I was a kid, I was always brought up never to shoot the first thing I saw. i.e. the first rabbit, or the first pigeon. It was my fathers belief that this would always maintain a healthy stock. Crows, foxes and maggies were the exception.

I fully understand where rabbits are a major pest in arable or woodland, then they have to be hit hard and I have no issue with this.

As to a close season I think it would be impracticable for most, but good luck to those who wish to.

• Like 4

It comes down to shooting for sport or shooting for vermin control again.

Rabbits are not too big a problem my way because of the terrain, with most problems coming from forestry, paddocks or large private gardens.

Although I shoot quite a few rabbits I generally only shoot them for the pot, for the ferrets, for somebody else's pot, for bait or to order. Unlike foxes I shoot, rabbits to me are generally sport shooting, hence the reason I will not abuse them. Another reason of course, is that I love my ferreting.

When I was a kid, I was always brought up never to shoot the first thing I saw. i.e. the first rabbit, or the first pigeon. It was my fathers belief that this would always maintain a healthy stock. Crows, foxes and maggies were the exception.

I fully understand where rabbits are a major pest in arable or woodland, then they have to be hit hard and I have no issue with this.

As to a close season I think it would be impracticable for most, but good luck to those who wish to.

you was taught well :thumbs: