Sign in to follow this  
midnight

days and days of making damascus knives, finnished at last !

I know I shouldnt, but I am going to have to get a decent nice looking blade off you sometime. Having seen all your posts with interest, you seem to be a bloody good knife maker!

And Gaffer, of course you can make the sheath!

matt is very good at what he does pal . :thumbs:

thanks guys , i think the gaffer sheaths compliment the knife perfectly . i could not make them and kev allways gets the fit and styling just right . all you have to do is send the knife and it comes back perfectly sheathed every time !!

this lot are all 60% done , forged ,shaped , ground ,heat treated and tempered , polished and shallow etched . iv ordered the handle materials so they should be here any day .

paulus , im sorry to say your dagger snapped and is un repairable !! so will have to start again on that sorry .

the other negative is that one of the patterns is to large (i should have known better , but its what i was asked for ) and they have all come out very fine and thin !!

maybe to thin for heavy feild use , but would make great utility pendant knives .

so out of all that i was aiming to cover 2 commisions and some new paterns , and im so far only acheived 1 new pattern and one commison !!

its like gambling you dont allways win eh ?

thanks guys , i think the gaffer sheaths compliment the knife perfectly . i could not make them and kev allways gets the fit and styling just right . all you have to do is send the knife and it comes back perfectly sheathed every time !!

this lot are all 60% done , forged ,shaped , ground ,heat treated and tempered , polished and shallow etched . iv ordered the handle materials so they should be here any day .

paulus , im sorry to say your dagger snapped and is un repairable !! so will have to start again on that sorry .

the other negative is that one of the patterns is to large (i should have known better , but its what i was asked for ) and they have all come out very fine and thin !!

maybe to thin for heavy feild use , but would make great utility pendant knives .

so out of all that i was aiming to cover 2 commisions and some new paterns , and im so far only acheived 1 new pattern and one commison !!

its like gambling you dont allways win eh ?

no worries mate :thumbs:

little update .

here they are in the rought but finnished in terms of shape etc , roughed out with a quick etch to see what we had .

2012_04273daysofwelding20002.jpg

then heat treating and tempering , this pic shows them tempering , i did it 3 times drawing it from tang and spine . i have gone to spring temper on the tip and recaso area because there fine blades and we dont want them snapping , but bending with a spring is a good idea , the blue is the spring temper , the bronze the harder blade temper . colourful in it ?

2012_04273daysofwelding20003.jpg

this next one is after gringing and alot of polishing , the heat treating and quick etch will actualy reveal some of the patterning and is visable .

2012_04273daysofwelding20005.jpg

into the acid to etch , this will be etch 4 with the final one being when the knife is finnished with a much stronger hot acid to get the final pattern .

2012_04273daysofwelding20007.jpg

there you go , nice and dark from a good contrast of steels , this is not that deeply etched because the metal if fine and could cause weakness if i go to deep.the pic dont show it well but they look spectacular in the flesh.

2012_04273daysofwelding20009.jpg

this is them tape wrapped with the buffalo horn scales they will all have one with a butterscotch pair , all will have liners bar the larger skinner as it will have an etch on its spine .

2012_04273daysofwelding20011.jpg

and this is where thay are now , top one is 90% just bits and bobs to do and final reveal etch , its black buffalo and thin brass liner with 4mm brass pins , feels great very eligant , a gentlamans knife with out an way of offending anyone !!

the bottom one is black buffalo with ally 1mm liner with file work . it probably dont look much but i promise it will be beautiful !

2012_04273daysofwelding20012.jpg

2012_04273daysofwelding20014.jpg

size wise they are similar to one of the large opneil knife and have a similar styling i spose . my land lord is an ex army major and he claims them to be beond anything he has seen ! not bad eh ? he just bought a £2000 damascus shot gun , so i hope he knows his unions ?

let me know what you think guys probably not enough to impress you yet but , its the ugly duckling stage at the moment .

i have a day to a day and half left on this lot all going well . so bear with me , and i hope you enjoy seeing it ?

all the best , matt.

• Like 1

Cracking bit of work there fellah.. And a real good read along the way of different stages

Hey there. Dont be negative, these are looking great. I will probably never make my own but love reading your posts and seeing the work involved. I can well understand the dissapointment when blades don't turn out the way you want but I am sure you learn from each one of these and the stuff you do turn out is amazing.

regards, ian

• Like 1

ive always wanted to try pattern welding but dont have the patience,youve done well to make a gas forge that can reach fire welding heat.real neat work

Matt would you please stop making things I want to buy !!!! They look good as always mate ;)

Matt would you please stop making things I want to buy !!!! They look good as always mate ;)

guess what :laugh:
  • Like 1

well there done i dont really know what i have, i cant see the wood from the trees with this lot .

iv done sooo much work on them i dont want to think about it .

importantly . i learned masses and will aproch things in a differant way next time .

i have given up on the pic tutorial with this lots its now just them finnished .

2012_05023daysofwelding30011.jpg

2012_05023daysofwelding30012.jpg

2012_05023daysofwelding30013.jpg

2012_05023daysofwelding30014.jpg

2012_05023daysofwelding30016.jpg

2012_05023daysofwelding30006.jpg

2012_05023daysofwelding30007.jpg

2012_05023daysofwelding30008.jpg

2012_05023daysofwelding30009.jpg

2012_05023daysofwelding30010.jpg

2012_05023daysofwelding30001.jpg

2012_05023daysofwelding30002.jpg

2012_05023daysofwelding30003.jpg

2012_05023daysofwelding30004.jpg

2012_05023daysofwelding30005.jpg

the sheaths are kydex with leather bonded over it so they can not fall out (that was a prick to do)

they need a hole for a lanyard to carry round your neck or that american classic the fixed blade pocket knife !!

all buffalo horn handles ally or brass pins and liners .

i just need to get the etch better on the larger skinner and do the final sharpen and there done . i will never attempt 4 at once again !!

i hope you like them ?

paulus your first in the line .

all the best , matt .