Liars or am I doing something wrong?

Here's one for you. I can shoot rounds into lets say a fifty pence piece out to about 80 meters from my .22lr, the closer I get to my target the closer the grouping at 50 meters inside say something like a 10p piece or smaller. But past 90 well dodgy and at a 100 forget it, but I continue to hear of people hitting 1 inch groups out to a hundred plus am I listening to bullsh*t or can this be done?

Just bear in mind that there are a lot of shitters out there and those who have little legs when counting out their yardages.

As Paulus says, the .22lr is a short range rifle. And its very much the first step on the firearms ladder.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to me you speak the most sense on this thread Paul. Thanks to the ignore facility, I'm missing the worst of it lol!

Winchester super x subs have always been the most consistant I have used. They will hit out to silly distances but like all subs they will not do it regularly and with consistant accuracy, the toleran

and most of all, those that boast the most, normally do the least

Me thinks your being a bit harsh Dunc me ol darlin, you cant count something out just like that, and i know we have had this chat before, oh ye of little faith.

Yes your right there are some shitters on here but alot more that are genuine.

I just find it hard to believe that with so many experienced shooters on here people still have problems accepting that .22lr is effective at 100yrd plus. get out there learn what your rifle can do, i spent 4 hours yesterday messing with my 22 and my shotgun at paper targets at varing ranges just for the fun of it and after all the years i have been shooting shotgun i would never have guessed that 5`s will still give a reasonable pattern at 70yrds, me iam terrible with a shotgun so i would never have a go at that range but i know that a better shot than me could bag a rabbit that far out. play learning!!.

I just find it hard to believe that with so many experienced shooters on here people still have problems accepting that .22lr is effective at 100yrd plus. get out there learn what your rifle can do, i spent 4 hours yesterday messing with my 22 and my shotgun at paper targets at varing ranges just for the fun of it and after all the years i have been shooting shotgun i would never have guessed that 5`s will still give a reasonable pattern at 70yrds, me iam terrible with a shotgun so i would never have a go at that range but i know that a better shot than me could bag a rabbit that far out. play learning!!.

the thing is most experienced shoots want a clean kill wether that be rimmy,fullbore or shotgun, as for long range paper targets,they dont run off mate when not dropped first shot.

the thing is most experienced shoots want a clean kill wether that be rimmy,fullbore or shotgun, as for long range paper targets,they dont run off mate when not dropped first shot.

you need to keep up and make sure you have read all my posts before you have dig me ol mate or u will look a monkey!

You're absolutely right, we all bow down to your expertise and amazing marksmanship. After all, none of us wants to look a monkey ;)

Forgive the slight sarcasm, but I think I'll reserve the long range stuff for a more appropriate calibre. I prefer to hit quarry that are comfortably within the capabilities of the rifle I'm using rather than pushing a rifle to the edge of its limits and risking a less than humane kill.

With the .17hmr, 100 yards is zero range - so if I'm after 100 yard plus bunnies, the .22lr stays in the gun cabinet.

Dunc u just need to learn a bit about you rifle bud, fair enough if you cant manage it, but i can for certian say that your rifle can as long as you have ammo that your rifle likes. your going to miss a few but you can do that at any range. i see alot of people on here saying about rabbits shot at 200yrd+ with a HMR um now that seems along way to me with a bullet that gets deflected if a robin farts in the next town at that range.

I suppose it all comes down to those can do and those that cant dont, simple as that.

And yes if you cant shoot a rabbit at 100yrd with a .22LR you should go back to an air rifle mate and leave the real rifles alone.

• Like 1

bollocks

I'm comfortable in my knowledge of the limitations of my rifles and haven't seen any evidence to change my view. I've seen groups from .22lr at 100 yards and I'm not impressed.

As for suggestions I should go back to air rifles (another highly valued tool in the box), I think smacks of childishness.

I agree but your not looking for a group your looking for a single shot into an area of about 2 inch you need to try it on paper, Sure you wont get it straight away but you will learn quick, as long as you have a sound approach and treat every shot a single kill not part of a group you will be surprised.

pound coin sized brain, or 2 pound coin sized engine room. Piss Easy for the hummer. Chancey by .22lr.

My hummer can cloverleaf at 125 yards - can't say the same for my rimmie.

Hit the nail on the head there Dunc. Not many people can hit a £2 coin consistently at 100, let alone a £1 coin in the field. In fact there was recently a Military, Special forces, Police comp that was open to teams from across Europe, and all they had to do was knock the centre out of a £2 coin, from a 5 degree angle at 100 metres. Guess what? Hardly any competitor did it!

The calibre they where using..... .308/7.62.

Paper punching is one thing, field shooting is another.

I have pulled off some spectacular shots with a rifle, but only when I have had the time to get into the prone, range find the distance, read the wind accuratly and then apply my adjustments. Thats before I have even applied any of the priciples of aimed rifle shooting.

Animals deserve more than people using them for target practice. Do it if you can, but do it only when you know you can.

still dont see the relivence of the £2 coin the kill zone on a rabbit is bigger than that may be that size for a head shot but certianly not the body zone. Are you saying that you couldnt kill a rabbit clean at 100yrd Tegater.? I do how ever agree with the centiment those that can, can those that cant, just cant.