Liars or am I doing something wrong?

Here's one for you. I can shoot rounds into lets say a fifty pence piece out to about 80 meters from my .22lr, the closer I get to my target the closer the grouping at 50 meters inside say something like a 10p piece or smaller. But past 90 well dodgy and at a 100 forget it, but I continue to hear of people hitting 1 inch groups out to a hundred plus am I listening to bullsh*t or can this be done?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to me you speak the most sense on this thread Paul. Thanks to the ignore facility, I'm missing the worst of it lol!

Winchester super x subs have always been the most consistant I have used. They will hit out to silly distances but like all subs they will not do it regularly and with consistant accuracy, the toleran

and most of all, those that boast the most, normally do the least

It can be done :thumbs:

Most guys who do this either have a nice still day, or consistent wind meaning the point of aim won't change.

Having said that, as above bolt actions and semi autos are different, as is the ammo and rifle, as is subs or hv rounds.

I use a bolt action with eley subs, maybe its the old "bad workman blames his tools kinda thing". I'm just a shit shot hahaa gonna get some practice in ma booty's! If it can be done it's on my bucket list cheers lads.

I use a bolt action with eley subs, maybe its the old "bad workman blames his tools kinda thing". I'm just a shit shot hahaa gonna get some practice in ma booty's! If it can be done it's on my bucket list cheers lads.

If you watch someone else do it it boosts your confidence no end.

Thing is its the first round that counts, as long as you can hit that inch I wouldn't worry about the other 4 shots :thumbs:

ive been practicing for more years than most have been alive but im still shite past 60/80yrds :laugh: the 22lr is a short range gun, and hv rounds are a bag of shite :thumbs:

Funny you say that, apart from a few strays the CCI subs seemed better that Remington hv's at longer range the other day :hmm:

ive been practicing for more years than most have been alive but im still shite past 60/80yrds :laugh: the 22lr is a short range gun, and hv rounds are a bag of shite :thumbs:

Funny you say that, apart from a few strays the CCI subs seemed better that Remington hv's at longer range the other day :hmm:

hv`s are shite end of ,about as acurate as the bbc`s weather forecast mate, subbies in themselves are inherrantly inaccurate take a close look at a few they dont fill you with the sense of a quality :laugh:
  • Like 1

A lot of the problem with many of the .22 subs is to do with their consistency. If you spend an afternoon rattling a few boxes over the crony you will soon come to realise that there is a large shot to shot variation in some manufacturers. Interestingly, the most consistent ammo we found was the old issued stuff that we used to run through the sub cals. The shot to shot variation was tiny, yet we were told it was the cheapest of the cheap. Made by who? Eley who else! It also had a very distinctive smell when fired. Grouped beautifully out of a bolt rifle too.

A lot of the problem with many of the .22 subs is to do with their consistency. If you spend an afternoon rattling a few boxes over the crony you will soon come to realise that there is a large shot to shot variation in some manufacturers. Interestingly, the most consistent ammo we found was the old issued stuff that we used to run through the sub cals. The shot to shot variation was tiny, yet we were told it was the cheapest of the cheap. Made by who? Eley who else! It also had a very distinctive smell when fired. Grouped beautifully out of a bolt rifle too.

due to the wax outer coating :thumbs:

popping holes in targets is one thing, doing it in the field is another matter, i can group CCi velocitors 1.5 inch at 150yrds but i wouldnt use them to try and kill any thing at that range, on the other hand i group subs at 75yrd about an inch but because of the ground i shoot 75% of all my kill shots are 100yrds or over,

As hunters we dont need to group shots on a target we need to achieve single kill shots. Targets make you too fussy and you cant rely on the results being tranfured into hunting. My 223 shot a 0.184 group at 100yrds two days later i missed a kill shot on a foxes chest a good 4 inch target and hit him high through the neck.