night vision tested!!!

I have been looking at doing this for a long time I have a old anolog panasonic camcorder with night vision, in its day cost about £600 I paid £20 for it a year ago I have tested it the dark out side and goes no more then about 5 meters as it only has one little red led bulb I am tempted to take it apart and use the lens and viewing monitor and battery pack and so on but I am sure it will still only go about 5 meters does anyone know if putting a lamp with infa red filter on would help in day time and dusk it will pull 500 yards in to a very good pick I could shoot a crow at 500 yards away if I could shoot that straight. Any help would be great and that is a great little night vision scope there too if mine works as well I would be very happy.

follow my link above to the airgun forum, theres pages to troll through reguarding camcorder night vision units, you'll get all your info there for sure

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, had my first test run over the farm last night, noticed straight away a few bits that need tweaking, but these are not associated with the nv, firstly I have a rifle rest permantly fixed to my 4x4 door, of course its set up for leaning out window to look through a scope, therefore using the nv, the screen was too high to be comfortable, I'll need to make up a 2nd rifle rest if using this in future, my lamp worked brilliant with the nv filter, too good in fact, could do with a dimmer or sorts

my idea of an extra larger lcd screen mounted on centre of dash is deffo on the cards, as this would make viewing better for everyone, inc the shooter/me,

I can also appreciate why everyone say's get paralex with side wheel, having to reach forward to front was a pain

and I need to tweak the nv were it slips over end of tele tube, plastic tubing is ok, but some sort of rubber should hold the crosshairs in centre of screen better, last night in was slightly to bottom of screen

ok, thats the tweaking covered, so how did it fare,

brilliantly, straight away I was viewing rabbits playing at around 65yds which normally would have scarpered, I did'nt shoot these as its near a public footpath visited by dog walkers, but it showed it worked, they were totally unaware of us being there, even though the car was "running" and I had sidelights on :good:

my first field and I quickly spotted a feeding rabbit, had I being using the lamp he certainly would have been ready to run, but with nv, he carried on eating, bad news, one dead bunny, my last moan would be distance is hard to work out, I thought he was a good 40yds, yet it was only 20, so I can see this getting used more in areas where I can stay/sit and know a set distance where rabbits come out, a friends garden for instance is plagued by rabbits that only come from one entry point/area, sitting at the picnic table this nv would be ideal, but for driving around the farm Im saying lamping is better

Im happy that it works, and for £52.50, I'll continue to tweak it with the extra screen

also, the noise/click from the ruger in no way bothered any rabbits, I'll certainly be using it in future on the lamp

hey its looking great stubby.. ive got a few parts on there way from good old china for my mark1 mess about project its just going to be the standard camcorder job with a few added extras so nothing ground breaking but my mark2 project is going to be somthing abit diffrent that i havent seen yet but more on that when the time comes its all very addictive. well done bud you haved saved yourself a good few quid and found a new hobby and increased your shooting possibilitys... its all good :boogy:

I had too much Ir going on in this clip but if your camera is not as low light then it might work better for you. I had two roof mounted 940nm 10 degree Bosch IR floodlights in use. If there is any more than 1/8th moon I have found I don't need any IR at all but didn't think about turning it off for this clip:

On Ebay, search 'dash camera'. You can get a night vision camera with monitor for £23.00!. Takes a memory card as well. Might be shite, don't know, but for £23.00 all in you can chop it about and see if you can come up with some thing that might work.

On Ebay, search 'dash camera'. You can get a night vision camera with monitor for £23.00!. Takes a memory card as well. Might be shite, don't know, but for £23.00 all in you can chop it about and see if you can come up with some thing that might work.

Ive got one of theses on the way i won it for 11 quid its worth a punt at that. i got it to see if i can make a nv spotter with but if i can get the lens out and fix a zoom and focus lens in it might well go on the back of the scope or it might well be a pile of shite!. im going to be adding alot more ir..i will publish my findings on here as i go along.

http://www.ebay.co.u...144686750705393

Edited by kanny

check out the link to the airgun forum I posted on page one, then go into night vision section, people have already used the item you have bought simular to my set up, you'll have all the info/instructions you'll need there to convert yours, changing the lens etc

like the idea of roof mounted lights, I'll look into it

I had too much Ir going on in this clip but if your camera is not as low light then it might work better for you. I had two roof mounted 940nm 10 degree Bosch IR floodlights in use. If there is any more than 1/8th moon I have found I don't need any IR at all but didn't think about turning it off for this clip:

ok, having looked at dedicated Ir lamps, and the prices :blink: Im going to try a couple of normal spot lamps, covered with the same IR perspex I have on my rifle lamp, it'll save having the lamp/or a laser attached to the rifle, making it less cumbersome :thumbs:

Ive got one of theses on the way i won it for 11 quid its worth a punt at that. i got it to see if i can make a nv spotter with but if i can get the lens out and fix a zoom and focus lens in it might well go on the back of the scope or it might well be a pile of shite!. im going to be adding alot more ir..i will publish my findings on here as i go along.

For £11 you got to give it a go, if nothing else it'll keep you occupied for an afternoon. I've been wondering if i could make a set up with a monitor in my pick up, and a camera on the roof with a separate light source. My brother in law has a lamp with the handle coming through the roof that he uses for lamping. I'm thinking the same sort of thing, but a camera with a huge I/R light source on it. Then when i go out with the night vision add on i could use that for spotting, that would be the mutts nuts!.

I got a 4 x 22 zoom lense coming from china and a screen been playing around with a ir filter made it myself be testing it tonight the filter if it works cost a pound if the hole set up works cost is £25 I am hoping to get a range of about 100 meters let you how it goes later.

well guys the item arrived and i had a play with it for about a hour and i was quite impressed with the quality of the picture it gave then it packed up working!!! :laugh: the guy i got it from has offerd a replacment or refund if i send it back but to be honest i dont think i can be arsed....now wheres the screw drivers :hmm:

Edited by kanny