Countrymans weekly arrogance . . .

I'm not sure why, but i quite often buy the countrymans weekly, it's something to read in work, where they have now blocked the hunting life on the computer. I can usually guarentee that there will be something annoying in it, something that pisses me off, usually some kind of arrogance, or one sided opinion. Such classics as "of course, all poachers are criminals, and will think nothing of stealing farm machinery".

Anyhow, i was reading the copy that i picked up today, and noticed an article about how "Ferreting for a living is jolly hard work". Now while i don't argue, that doing anything for a living is a lot more stressful and tougher in the long run, than doing it as a sport, hobby or unpaid obsession, there is a certain arrogance often given off by the 'professional coney catcher' (of course not all). Some believe that being payed for the job that others do for free, means that they are better at it, more efficient, have better ferrets, know more about rabbits/ferrets / hunting and of course catch a lot more rabbits. Ultimatly they believe that if you were as good as them, then you would be getting payed, and as you are not, then you must be playing at it, and an 'ameuter'.

This attitude is held very strongly by a couple of members on here, and some of those that i read in the CMW or other publications. It is of course, total bollocks in the main part, and is dis proved by various members on here, not to mention common sense.

I think two of my favourite bits of the afore mentioned article - firstly (and i know some on here would agree on this) -

"Lets get one thing clear from the start. I absolutly hate this silly culture of dispatching rabbits by doing the 'karate chop' method. It's totally amatuerish and i will not tolerate it whatsoever".

Now, i didn't realise it was a 'culture', secondly its no more or less efficient than any other method is done correctly (and thats the key) and it has its place a long side the others. As for being 'totally amaturish' . . . . . .well.

Second classic, and my favourite is -

"For all you up-and-coming youngsters reading this, i would urge you to stay away from the fashion of running a round shooting rabbits with catapults. Well, certainly if you're going to take up rabbit control a a profession"

Right, because if as a kid you enjoy hunting rabbits with a catapult, you are not allowed to become a professional pest controler in later life??? Moron.

And it goes on . . . . .

"So, you will see by now that professional rabbit catchers do not just walk about for a few hours with a lurcher and a gun! It's jolly hard work"

No shit Sherlock. But of course, any one who isnt being payed, or doesnt do it for a living, is just having the odd wander here or there, picking up one or two as they go. . . . .

Well, enough of my ranting, but suffice to say it does my fecking head in :laugh:

-

• Like 12

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sure why, but i quite often buy the countrymans weekly, it's something to read in work, where they have now blocked the hunting life on the computer. I can usually guarentee that there will be

its not even been fit for arse wiping for years ...

I'd say you definatly learn fieldcraft, and efficiency over time served. But you can def also pick up some kind of genius idea off someone who has been doing it for a season and is just a smart guy. A

Posted Images

Both correct, in general its very poor these days, although there are the odd good articles. However, this is just something i was thinking about when reading that article, it goes on just as much on here sometimes, and in general life.

i agree, i stopped buying the countrymans weekly a few year ago now, and used to prefer it when it was called the shooting news, much better articles in it then, and alot healthier on your pocket, at 65 pence per magazine, so all in all better value for money, and better reading in my opinion.......these days, not only are some of the things published in it quite silly, but also it seems to be filled up with adverts from different companies selling things, and to me it is not worth the price of it........

all the best,

jay. :thumbs:

• Like 1

i pick a copy up now and again, infact ive got this weeks here on the table as i type this, i havent even bothered to read it yet, its the same old drivel rehashed week in week out, by the same old contributors. most using it as a platform for some future book venture or other, its getting like the shooting press, i shot these rabbits using this gun,these cartridges whilst wearing these socks and pants :laugh: now i appreciate the publication has to respect the law as it stands but taking a left wing approach to it wont do it any favours :thumbs:

it all seems a bit amateurish to me, with "supplied" photos everywhere, i know it sounds gay, but if i know the pictures are of the actual event, i can be transported their more easily, and enjoy the story more imo. some of the reports on here are better than some of those articles, they all seem to be people speculating about stuff such as "lurcher breeding" and why tall dogs are of use, i dont give a feck about tall dogs and why they may be useful, i want some reports or stories of them doing their job! had a rant their, :laugh::thumbs:

ideation i think the gezzer was having a dig at the warrener, about ussing the catty whilst actualy ferreting,,, if that was the case i also would not be kean on that carry on especialy with dogs running round....... however i have no probs with a catty being used for harvesting game in genrel.

as for the rabbit punch,,,, im not a fan ,, allthough my long time ferreting partner does it cos his hands are fecked from using machinery down the pit... to me the chin in the net is easily used and far better than taking a struggling coney out of the net , for either the chop or the strech.

but i will agree that somtimes,,the articals can be very biased,, especialy the deer stalking fella

• Like 2

Some good replies.

Not aware of the warrener thing? Never seen any of his dvds, but firing catapults when ferreting does sound daft, but thats common sense.

As for the rabbit punch, it doesnt need to be done out of the net, most of the time i find it as quick as chinning, i just hold them behind the shoulders and give them a sharp tap on the back of the neck / skull, and its night nght, a reverse chin i guess.

Country mans keeps you up to date on the antis thoughts on dog men and I don,t mean bunny/ tree huggers :whistling: as the old saying go,s " keep your friends close and,,,,,"

as for the ferreting side I don,t use a locator and half the time don,t even bother with nets, I,m just a beginner so erm,,,, no comment, atb

Some good replies.

Not aware of the warrener thing? Never seen any of his dvds, but firing catapults when ferreting does sound daft, but thats common sense.

As for the rabbit punch, it doesnt need to be done out of the net, most of the time i find it as quick as chinning, i just hold them behind the shoulders and give them a sharp tap on the back of the neck / skull, and its night nght, a reverse chin i guess.

you will have the stanley boys round - pats best friends , fancy saying they have no common sense :tongue2: