• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've done what I set out to do, goldie mules, finally. My gloster that bred me my first linnet mule has produced my first goldie mule too. My little red hen I bred last year is on a clutch of them t

First siskin mules Agates bred from these

There's 3 chicks so far

Shame that and maybe worth getting a extra canary hen in if your getting big broods or those bengalees finches there ment to be very good foster parents or maybe hand rearing them?.Good luck with the other 3 though :thumbs: and don't go going all foriegn on us Bear,natives all the way mate :laugh: .

Canary hens are like rocking horse shit though mate, if i had more hens the linnet would be a very busy boy as theres no canary cock out there now. This goldie better pull his finger out though or i'll be having to bring him back for the hens the linnet dislikes. My 8x4 aviary should be getting delivered (carried across the road by me) tomorrow so I might just lob the goldies and spare hens out in that and hope for the best. Has anyone ever used bengalese for fostering canaries and mules etc? I got some to try it with but I don't like them so gave them to next door for his aviary and they still havent bred, they lay eggs but dont seem very good at hatching them so I wouldn't fancy relying on them to rear proper birds with.

and don't go going all foriegn on us Bear,natives all the way mate :laugh: .

:laugh: mate I was thinking english budgies not foreign ones :laugh: , not really as I love our little finches and that :toast: might even get a trio of quail for the floor as my flight will be too small for a white pheasant off the shoot :icon_redface:
  • Like 1

Canary hens are like rocking horse shit though mate, if i had more hens the linnet would be a very busy boy as theres no canary cock out there now. This goldie better pull his finger out though or i'll be having to bring him back for the hens the linnet dislikes. My 8x4 aviary should be getting delivered (carried across the road by me) tomorrow so I might just lob the goldies and spare hens out in that and hope for the best. Has anyone ever used bengalese for fostering canaries and mules etc? I got some to try it with but I don't like them so gave them to next door for his aviary and they still havent bred, they lay eggs but dont seem very good at hatching them so I wouldn't fancy relying on them to rear proper birds with.

I know they use bengalese for Gouldian finches mate not sure about canarys though but don,t see why not, personaly I would rather have the canary hens rearing as using foster parents may create a whole new set of problems imo, also the bengalese should be hatching and rearing there own young without any problems, maybe a husbandry issue or maybe they,re just past it :thumbs:

So far it's been up and down,doing well with the mules and the redpolls,just the lutino greenies(lost one nest of 3 eggs) and the goldies to go now and off to pick up a siskin cock tomorrow for my hen and if they all produce one nest each this year i'll be more than happy.The misses won't be mind as it'll mean more avairies :laugh: .

I know they use bengalese for Gouldian finches mate not sure about canarys though but don,t see why not, personaly I would rather have the canary hens rearing as using foster parents may create a whole new set of problems imo, also the bengalese should be hatching and rearing there own young without any problems, maybe a husbandry issue or maybe they,re just past it :thumbs:

or mabe their all hens

I've lobbed my goldies in the new aviary with the dimorphic that built up ages ago and hasn't layed yet, hopefully they will get a bloody move on now.

Fireman in your mixed aviaries do the finch cocks still tread canaries even when there's a hen of their own species in there?

My goldie cock does,i have had a siskin hen on her own in there but he ignores her totaly.Got a red factor hen due to hatch and my greenie cock produced some mules with her last year so maybe he'll have had a go this year as well?.Will only know when the eggs hatch really,i got given a siskin cock for my lonely hen today and out of the blue the fella turned round and also let me bring home a pair of chaffies to try out in my aviary :boogy: .But as with birds came home to find a dead day old chick in with my blue irish pair and it seems it was pulled out when the egg shell was dumped as it was at the other end of a double breeder with the 2 halves of shell.,2 steps forward,1 back everytime this year.