New Land with Fallow

as said it is a great thread as there has not bbeen any abuse just difference od opinion about different calibres we all prefer our own and that wont change i have tried the 22.250 .243 .308 and i like the .308 a lot of folks think they kick like a mule i dont

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess the first thing that you need to understand is that your FAC is granted for a specific purpose, and that was vermin control (possibly target shooting?). Requesting authority for deer is like a

The police cannot demand dsc1 or anything else for that matter to grant a deer legal rifle,if they do speak to basc ect,unless of course you wish to do dsc,you have experience with a .223 so moving up

I have read this statement many times across forums and have always been interested but have never asked. What exactly is a well placed shot and what would a badly placed shot be? How would this diff

There is no grant for night shooting ,the .22 centre fire,if owned , is your designated fox rifle and lamping is accepted as part of its use but because you own the .22 centre fire ,any lamping done with the .243 or bigger would be illegal because its not your desgnated fox rifle and the FEO looks on its use after dark as deer poaching .Check it out mate .I was astonished too .

Ps- .22,50 is a .22 centrefire

I have a .22 hornet conditioned for fox, and a.243 conditioned for fox also, dont know about Wiltshire but its no problem having more than one rifle round my way.

There is no grant for night shooting ,the .22 centre fire,if owned , is your designated fox rifle and lamping is accepted as part of its use but because you own the .22 centre fire ,any lamping done with the .243 or bigger would be illegal because its not your desgnated fox rifle and the FEO looks on its use after dark as deer poaching .Check it out mate .I was astonished too .

Ps- .22,50 is a .22 centrefire

There is no such thing as a "designated" rifle. Your rifles will have been granted for "named" quarry, so you could have .17HMR, vermin control .223 fox & vermin, .243 Fox & deer, .308. deer

In the above example, you can shoot fox with your .223 and .243, how you do it is up to you, unless the police have added a specific condition on your license along the lines of "you may not use the .243 whilst night shooting" or another scenario would be that you may only use your .243 to shoot fox whilst you are actively stalking deer, in which case what you suggest would be correct but only if you had that limitation on your license. If you do not, then someone is filling your head with BS. My stalking partner can shoot vermin, fox, game and deer with his .308, but only whilst stalking deer. Which mean he can not specifically go and shoot rabbits with his .308, but could shoot one if he was primarily stalking deer and a rabbit offered a chance of a shot.

BTW, fully aware that a .22-250 is .22 CF, well actually it's .224" and will still not beat a .243" using 58 grain V-max ;)

John

not been fortunate as yet to try a Fallow but it looks promising for next season if i get the permission i'm after. :thumbs:

Fallow are fun, more than Red's IMHO if you like very challenging stalks. Red seem to be easy going, yup they will run but generally the reds seem to be more laid back than fallow, which run at the slightest reason. If you like your venison, don't eat a fallow ;) I've permission for a cracking rutting stand but don't often visit due to the smell/taste of fallow. I shot a big old boy last rut, he was just going back, I even spotted prickets challenging the poor old boy.

John

not been fortunate as yet to try a Fallow but it looks promising for next season if i get the permission i'm after. :thumbs:

Fallow are fun, more than Red's IMHO if you like very challenging stalks. Red seem to be easy going, yup they will run but generally the reds seem to be more laid back than fallow, which run at the slightest reason. If you like your venison, don't eat a fallow ;) I've permission for a cracking rutting stand but don't often visit due to the smell/taste of fallow. I shot a big old boy last rut, he was just going back, I even spotted prickets challenging the poor old boy.

John

no being funny but any rutting deer will be strong flavoured if you think that all fallow meat smells/taste poor then you aint eaten much.

no being funny but any rutting deer will be strong flavoured if you think that all fallow meat smells/taste poor then you aint eaten much.

Thanks for your kind and very informed input.

I said I had a rutting stand, did I also say I had 400 acres of land also frequented by fallow deer? To MY taste buds fallow taste bl00dy terrible. By far and wide I prefer roe, with muntjac and reds coming second. So no being funny, but I canny help what my taste bud tell me and yes the testosterone makes the meat strong, however I have always strongly suspected that fallow produce more adrenalin than other species, which is great from a sporting point of view. Put fallow, red, roe and muntjac on the table and I'll tell you which one is the fallow, it's the one that smells like the ferrets ar$e ;)

John

Thanks for your kind and very informed input.

I said I had a rutting stand, did I also say I had 400 acres of land also frequented by fallow deer? To MY taste buds fallow taste bl00dy terrible. By far and wide I prefer roe, with muntjac and reds coming second. So no being funny, but I canny help what my taste bud tell me and yes the testosterone makes the meat strong, however I have always strongly suspected that fallow produce more adrenalin than other species, which is great from a sporting point of view. Put fallow, red, roe and muntjac on the table and I'll tell you which one is the fallow, it's the one that smells like the ferrets ar$e ;)

John

perhaps you should have qualified your original statement that "If you like your venison, don't eat a fallow" by explaining that that is purely your opinion based on your taste buds and may actually be just your preference rather than word it as fact.

interesting your idea that fallow produce more epinephrine than other species what makes you think this may be the case?

Whilst trying to remain calm and collected ,its a bit hard when there are a few that think they are the law .I wrote in my post that WILTSHIRE FAD expect certain conditions to be met and i can fully understand it too .The condition on anyones firearm certificate unless otherwise stated is that if you have a DESIGNATED .22 CF calibre for fox then a deer rifle will not be legal to use at night .By checking it out i mean ask the question to your FEO .I have fox on the .243 as do hundreds of others which is why i was shocked by this finding .Before you take things for granted then its better to find out before falling foul id say .If this is just WILTS then so be it but fact is fact .The argument they have is why would anyone need to take a deer calibre lamping for fox when they own a .22 CF and i have to agree .

FD, don't tell people to go and fill their FEO's heads with ideas like that. Not only is it unreasonable and preposterous, it is also pretty much unenforcable, unless the certificate is specifically conditioned with such (and I'd say such a condition would be open to challenge under reasonableness as well as the bit in the HO guidance that states "the shooter will rightly wish to exercise choice of the calibres used".

If I hold a 22cf that is conditioned for foxes, and a .243/25-06/308/7mm win mag/whatever that is conditioned for deer and fox, why on earth should I choose only the .22cf for night shooting? I have the option of either because they are both conditioned (or I have AOLQ, as I do on all my rifles) for the intended quarry, and the police should not be trying to interfere with this choice.

As a practical matter, unless the FAC holder has been made aware of these arbitrary rules there is no way they could be prosecuted. They are not stated anywhere in settled law, or in the HO guidance (quite the opposite in fact).

You say "fact is fact". Is it really? If only firearms law in this country were so readily understood, so black and white!

Edited by matt_hooks
  • Like 1

FD, don't tell people to go and fill their FEO's heads with ideas like that. Not only is it unreasonable and preposterous, it is also pretty much unenforcable, unless the certificate is specifically conditioned with such (and I'd say such a condition would be open to challenge under reasonableness as well as the bit in the HO guidance that states "the shooter will rightly wish to exercise choice of the calibres used".

If I hold a 22cf that is conditioned for foxes, and a .243/25-06/308/7mm win mag/whatever that is conditioned for deer and fox, why on earth should I choose only the .22cf for night shooting? I have the option of either because they are both conditioned (or I have AOLQ, as I do on all my rifles) for the intended quarry, and the police should not be trying to interfere with this choice.

As a practical matter, unless the FAC holder has been made aware of these arbitrary rules there is no way they could be prosecuted. They are not stated anywhere in settled law, or in the HO guidance (quite the opposite in fact).

You say "fact is fact". Is it really? If only firearms law in this country were so readily understood, so black and white!

Agree mate but im only repeating what the feo told me in conversation and as a laymen i am going to believe it arnt i .It may be something to do with the current deer poaching that is going on .If hes lying or made it up then he will be brought to task i can assure you as another mate with more time and persistance has just been told the same .

Edited to say that its not my intention to mislead anyone just reporting what was said to me by my own feo.

Agree mate but im only repeating what the feo told me in conversation and as a laymen i am going to believe it arnt i .It may be something to do with the current deer poaching that is going on .If hes lying or made it up then he will be brought to task i can assure you as another mate with more time and persistance has just been told the same .

Edited to say that its not my intention to mislead anyone just reporting what was said to me by my own feo.

I really cant believe what I am reading, the FEO that has told you that must be on some personal crusade to make himself feel/appear more important than he is, if you have a rifle IE, .22cf for foxes as I do, and you also as I do have a .243 ect conditioned for fox and deer, then you are quite within keeping with the conditions on your fac by shooting foxes with it irrespective of the hour of day or night, the exeption to this, is if on your fac it states fox while stalking, then you would be breaching your conditions by going out specifically for foxes,and definately at night as you wont be stalking at night.if i were you mate I would speak to BASC firearms department and get them to have a word with the FEO in question,becouse he is talking compleat crap,or he is on a substance of some kind. :angry2:

Just got off the phone with the Avon And Somerset Firearms Department at Bristol. And they told me as follows.If you have Fox on your Ticket for any caliber rifle then you may shoot Fox day or night Legally providing you have permission on that land to do so, and as far they are aware there is nothing in the pipeline that is going to change that. :boogy:

Always the way I saw it :hmm:

Unless a rifle's deer with occasional fox, then you can't shoot at night as you can't stalk deer?

Just got off the phone with the Avon And Somerset Firearms Department at Bristol. And they told me as follows.If you have Fox on your Ticket for any caliber rifle then you may shoot Fox day or night Legally providing you have permission on that land to do so, and as far they are aware there is nothing in the pipeline that is going to change that. :boogy:

Thank f--k that is sorted what a load of crap.