RED MILLS

Guest Frank

Guest Frank

Right, i have been visiting a few grehound kennels over here in Ireland, over the past month or 2, with a mate that is getting into racing ect.

I want to get into it at some stage, but not just yet.

What amazed me, was the amount of kennels, that fed Red Mills to their dogs and beef as a suplement, but Red Mills being their main deit.?

Now, on here, most seem to feed their dogs, including lurchers, raw meat and veg diet and all on here, seem to condem dry feeding, red mills ect, why is this?

It seems to me, that in the real world out thier, red mills seems to dominate greyhound feeding? :blink:

Is it something to do with expense i wonder?

Any opinions, experinces, would be greatly appriciated. ;)

Cheers,

Frank.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks folks.

Some thruth in that CS. As a racing greyhound is considerd old here at 8 years old. :blink::yes:

Frank.

Ancient & pretty rare unless it was a stud dog or brood bitch. A fairly high percentage are raced for a short while before being sold on especially to the UK market.

MY MOTHER RACES HER WHIPPETS ON RED MILLS XCELL

SEEMS TO DO THE JOB

SHES USEDIT YEARS IF IT WASNT NOW GOOD DONT THING

COMPANY WOULD BE STILL IN A JOB :clapper:

ALSO VERY EASY TO USE IN LARGE KENNELS 50T0 100 DOGS

JUST HAD WATER AND THAT ALL YOU NEED ALL THE VITAMINS

YOUR DOGS NEED ;)

REASONABLE IN PRICE AS WELL

Guest Ditch_Shitter

This is Ireland, Frank. " Red Mills " is 'The' Irish animal feed producers. I give my 'stock their " Cool and Cooked ". Maybe, if I had a choice, I'd feed them something else? Red Mills for animals here. BASF's " Storm " (Flocoumafen) for rats. It's what's most readily available and pushed hardest. In uk it'd be " Science ". Nothing I've listed above is, in my opinion, the best. It's just what we get here. I'd sooner drink Theakstons Old Perculiar. Here I have to settle for Guinness. See what I'm saying? When in Rome .....

I can't speak for the ways of Irish Greyhound Trainers. But I've had a passing aquaintance with a couple of british ones. I rather gained the impression that it was their own skill in guaging just what each of several ranges of kennels full of individual Dogs should be fed, day to day, that made them what they were.

" If ye can piss, ye can paint. " Goes the old saying. Well; How much skill does it take to empty so many sacks into so many bowls each day? Frankly, if I had a Dog I expected the best from, I'd seek a man out who knew how to get that best from my Dog. I'd want a Trainer worthy of that title. Why would I pay a Sack Emptier? I can spill shit out of a sack. But I don't and wouldn't. A couple of Greyhound Trainers showed me how to look after a Dog.

Of course, if everyone out there is now a sack emptier then I s'pose that might level the field a bit? To it's lowest denominator.

Not a level I'd ever wish to be associated with, nor emmulate. But each to their own.

• 2 weeks later...
everyone has their own ideas on lots of aspects in the dog game be they lurchers or greyhounds, personally i do use redmills as their main biscut but mix with veg, beef, heart , chicken , rabbit , pasta , rice and good meaty mara bones, i also supplement with bonemeal, that bit extra cheese based calcium, sa37, white e, racing boost, depending on the dog and what im doing with them, they also get pilchards, fish oil, suet fat ect, and overall they seem to do ok .

im not surprised with that lot!!! i used to feed red mills ,then gain,(im an ngrc greyhound breeder) i now feed chudleys greyhound and they look VERY VERY well on it,better then the redmills or gain,my lurchers all get fed it too,15 years in the buisiness and im very happy with my feeding ragime.