Help!

Guest quinny1

Guest quinny1

Which is better a hob or a jill for rabbiting? And can either sex be spayed/neutered as soon as possible? Sorry for the quickfire style questions but i no nothin about ferrets.

Cheers, Quinny.

Either will do the job for rabbits, but i prefer Jills,

either can be neutered but why bother, if i was just getting one ferret i would keep a hob, no seasons and no worries.

COMPO :big_boss:

sorry didn't answer all your questions the first time, you have to wait until the ferret is fully grown before getting them "done" as mentioned by maty j the hobs goolies have to have dropped, and the jill would have to be fully grown,

but why bother if you only want one ferret just get a hob, when i didn't do a lot of ferreting and just wanted to bolt a few for my lurcher i had a lone hob, my brother who only goes ferreting a few times a year has a couple of hobs

i prefer jills for rabbiting but have had some belting hob ferrets that would work all day, hobs dont tire as easily as jills but do tend to kill more below ground (well my two do),

From my experience most of the hobs ive bred kill underground given the chance more than the jills.

If you are going to keep one, then a hob would be ok, but if later you decided to get another which most people variably do then I would recommened you start with a jill. Two hobs kept together will sometimes scrap with each other and fight for dominance. And if you put a hob in with jills he will bother them and drag them about alot when they are in season ,sometimes even when their not in season. Also you will have the problem of pregnent jills if not. (unless you keep them seperate) This is not always the case and there are some people who keep hobs together but this is from my experiance of many years.

Personally I would recommend you to get a jill.

There you go QUINNY you should be very confused by all this advise :11:

Mark a.

when i was saying about my brother keeping two hobs they are a pair of brothers i bred and they have lived together all there lives,

but you are right i would never advocate keeping two hobs together,

i have a hoblet (vasectomised hob) and a full hob and from febuary until october they will fight on sight and need to be kept well apart or i would only have one hob left!

suprisingly the littlest -the hoblet- usually wins when they go for it he is only about two thirds the size weight of the other but is a determined little nutter, thats why i love him so.

Guest quinny1

Thanks for the advice lads, i was planning to just keep 1 ferret and use it on a couple of golf courses that are having problems..... so a hob then....or is it a jill :icon_eek:

Quinny :D

QUINNY

MARK's probably right you will get one ferret and in two years time you will have half a dozen and a load more permission, at least with a jill you can breed your own replacments, and i am sure someone would lend you a hoblet to take her out of season or a full hob if you want to breed!