Noticed a Wren and a pair of Flycatchers taking food to the same place.

At first i thought the Flycatchers had taken over the Wrens nest, so out with the ladders to satisfy my curiosity.

It turns out the Flycatchers have built their nest right on top of the Wrens.

100_0372.jpg

100_0373.jpg

Cuckoos are bad for nickin nests too. Found a few black headed gull nests with the odd cuckoo egg in it. Lasy feckrs.

Hmm...how can I put this Smudge. NEVER, EVER IN A MILLION FECKIN' YEARS! :no:

Nice photos BT. Found a flycatchers on an air vent this year, up the side of an old mill. Didn't need much finding really 'cos there seems to be one there almost every year or in the same area. Busy little birds.

Smudge, a cuckoos egg is about the same size as a robins...maybe a tiny bit bigger. A gulls egg is the size of a feckin' ostriches in comparison! A female cuckoo first takes an egg out of the nest she's going to lay in, lays her egg and then either swallows the egg she's taken or crushes it in her throat and swallows the contents, coughing up the shell and spitting them out. I'd like to see her do it with a gulls egg!! The host needs to be an insect eater. The young cuckoo, when hatched, has to evict the eggs or chicks out of the nest (the urge to do this can last about 3-4 days). How the feck can a day old cuckoo chick heave a feckin' clutch of gulls eggs or chicks out of the nest? The gulls are semi nidifugous, in other words, their chicks leave the nest after a day or two. And there's more...much more but I think you get the jist. You were probably looking at an unusually marked egg or something like that. :good:

They come back every year.

However, they build their nest in the most ridiculous of places.

3 years ago they built a nest and laid their eggs in the gutter on the garden shed.

Due to the felt over hanging into the gutter they probably thought it was a good place, until the first heavy downpour.

Nest full of water, and they abandoned it.