Mews Ideas

Shaunm41

Hi,

Im looking at getting another harris this year.. Also managed to persuade to the Mrs. that its a good idea so all is good.. just need to build the mews.. I have an old metal shed that will be cleared out, has a flagged floor at minute but thinking of taking them up and using gravel.. Build an area out front with open top and sides also to make it bigger and lighter.. Maybe even replace the roof with clear sheets to let light in.. I have attached some pics of what I have to start with.. Anyone any ideas? anyone used a metal shed before? Or should I give that a miss totally and go for timber?

Thanks for your help in advance

Shaun

post-23139-0-63772200-1332694347.jpg

does it suffer from condensation being metal and not lined?

Good question.. It may well do.. But that shouldnt be so bad if its got an open front so air can pass through..

can you not rockwool and ply line it?

does it suffer from condensation being metal and not lined?

Good question.. It may well do.. But that shouldnt be so bad if its got an open front so air can pass through..

can you not rockwool and ply line it?

Yeah thats a good idea, will be able to put in some timbers behind the ply to screw perches to.. Thanks for that..

u want the half the roof open ,not perspex

No probs.. Will do that.. It has an apex roof so if i leave on half and cover the other half with netting will that be suficient? Im hoping to use the same shed to have it free during the moult and then remove the high perches and teather it to a bow during flying season.. will that be ok? with the half / half roof? Saying that... Can they be turned free in there even during flying season?

Change of plan.. After a lot of thinking and planning I am going to build a purpose built timber shed.. Get rid of the metal one.. Will have to do some blockwork to sit the shed on as the garden is not level but should be ok.. its going to be a shed in 2 halfs, Door in to the main shed area where our garden furniture and that will be stored, along with a worktop for weighing and preparing food, and the freezer then another door into where the hawk will be which is giving me the double door thing incase of escapes.. Will 10' by 6' be enough for the hawk?

Started the block wall for the base and to get a level base to work from. It will be in 2 halfs, 1 half will have pea gravel floor and half mesh roof. Will have the Harris free in there. Will have removable perches so when it's tethered it won't bate for higher perches. The other half will have concrete floor and be my storage shed with a work top in one corner with a chute for dropping food in to the Harris. My freezer will also be in here. The only thing I'm undecided on is what to use on the outside, looked at feather edge and ship lap. On the half where the hawk is will just put the feather edge / ship lap on and that will be that but the other half needs to be water tight so will be using a breather membrane then rock wool and ply inside.

Any recommendations on the feather edge / ship lap? Which is best regarding keeping water out. I know ship lap seems to be twice the price.

Thanks

Shaun.

Started the block wall for the base and to get a level base to work from. It will be in 2 halfs, 1 half will have pea gravel floor and half mesh roof. Will have the Harris free in there. Will have removable perches so when it's tethered it won't bate for higher perches. The other half will have concrete floor and be my storage shed with a work top in one corner with a chute for dropping food in to the Harris. My freezer will also be in here. The only thing I'm undecided on is what to use on the outside, looked at feather edge and ship lap. On the half where the hawk is will just put the feather edge / ship lap on and that will be that but the other half needs to be water tight so will be using a breather membrane then rock wool and ply inside.

Any recommendations on the feather edge / ship lap? Which is best regarding keeping water out. I know ship lap seems to be twice the price.

Thanks

Shaun.

ship lap and a couple of coats of sadolin, it will be water tight for years :thumbs:

Open the roof up shaun :thumbs: . a mate has Enclosed aviaries useing the box section tin sheets and boy do they get hot when its sunny, it must resemble a oven inside for the birds.

will you also be opening up a window for the bird with some bars in? This would certainly help get the air circulating up through the roof......