Hi all

Another question ime afraid.Went out on new permission last night and of course shot quite a few

fist size rabbits, what i need to no is will it be ok for pup (9/10 weeks) to play/retrieve these and if so

would it be a problem if the pup was to start to eat them.I am worried that if it started eating them

it would cause the dog to be hard mouthed when old enough to work.(only intend to work rabbits)

Thanks

Ian

Pups that age want to chew everything they find: especially when its soft and furry and they can sink their teeth into it. Personally, I leave rabbit skin retrieve training until older, because you don't want the pup to think that it can chew up rabbits when it should be retrieving them. If I feed whole rabbits to little pups I skin them first, so they don't think they are allowed to eat them with jackets on. By all means dry a skin and use it for retrieve training once the pup is around 4-5 months of age, but don't let the pup use the skin as a toy/chew. It should only have access to the skin via you, the game controller.

Edited by skycat
  • Like 1

Sorry guys post may not have been clear but i was talking about playing with the pup

in the garden as she has not even had her second jabs yet just thought it may be

a idea to get her used to different thing in here mouth at an early age.I do this with the spaniels

but this been my first lurcher i wasnt sure if they are prone to develop into been hard mouthed.

Sorry guys post may not have been clear but i was talking about playing with the pup

in the garden as she has not even had her second jabs yet just thought it may be

a idea to get her used to different thing in here mouth at an early age.I do this with the spaniels

but this been my first lurcher i wasnt sure if they are prone to develop into been hard mouthed.

The pup will love to play with the bunny,s,it will learn it a lot more than retrieving balls,soft toys etc.As you are in a garden you will have full control of the situation,make sure the dog learns that the bunnys belong to you and not them,as soon as the dog starts to chew into them,take them away,reinforce the ownership part of the training,it will all pay dividends when the pup eventually starts to catch.