Judges for Ballywalter Game Fair

Surely a working dog show should be judged by a working dogman/women ?? Racing certainley isnt working imo ..they are worlds apart...By that rationale why not just get a pedigree dog judge in?? No wonder the working dog man/woman is shying away from the shows when its all too clear that they are not being catered for anymore...just to add ive never shown a dog in my life and judging by this debacle i aint ever going to start anytime soon...atb stabba

• Like 3

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The old shows are a good days craic...   Im waiting always waiting on the antique, arthritic, held together by pins rabbit class. But they haven't made one yet. When they do, we might be in for a ch

jaysus lads give the girl a break....i mean seriously does rosettes mean that much to yous ...just go and enjoy the show lads and if you dont like the judge dont show but jaysus give the weee girl a b

I have known Albert, Seamus and matt for coming on 35 years....all my days in lurchers...they have organised, showed and held events all over the country to let every lurcher, terrier and whippet man

Posted Images

Guest ladyjane

Personally if I were running a show I wouldn't publicise the judges prior to the event, they get enough of a slating on here afterwards, never mind before they judge!! However, folk on here have been asking who's judging and the names have been given. I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing about any comments on this thread so far, but I'd be interested to hear who you guys/gals would respect as a judge of working dogs, terriers. lurchers and whippets? It's very easy to criticise, but I always believe if you have a problem then come up with a solution!

• Like 3

well lads and lasses, i thought lurcher shows was supposed to be fun places were like minded folk come together to have fun and chat, something to fill the time while our dogs carnt be worked, a bit like a lurcher forum ,if youve got a world beating working dog thats as ugly as a sea pig take it along and have fun, who cares whos judging as long as theyve got eyes, its just a bit of fun and i take my hat off to anyone who is willing to give there spare time to help out within our community and keep tradition going

• Like 1

Just one question to all of you guys who are criticising Rose being given the judging appointment at Ballywalter - how many of you have beaten her dogs in the racing! Or more importantly how many of your dogs could?

OH Rose is judging the racing then :boogy: because thats what her dogs do?

Dont see much evidence of her ever been ferreting,coursing(except as a spectator St Stephens Day meeting) foxing, ratting or even having a mouch with her dogs? the dogs your asking her to judge do these things regularly.

Now Barrie Wade is an outstanding judge of terriers :thumbs: and what to look for in working terriers, not surprisingly he works them not races them.

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

Because someones dogs win races doesn't mean they will be a good Lurcher Judge!! BUT, Judges have got to start somewhere, and there are to many people who will slate a Judge, but are unwilling to do it themselves ! I have respect for anyone who is willing to go into the ring and judge, and put up with the moaners and whingers ! So, good luck to the lady in question !! :thumbs:

Cheers.

• Like 2

Albert you spend your life defending your actions doesn't that tell you something??

I have no need to 'defend my actions' - I did not select Rose to judge - but I did approve it.

I think it is most unfair of anyone to 'prejudge' a selected judge without waiting to see the result of the judging. Rose has been a big winner at our fairs and throughout the country for many years with good well conditioned dogs and I suspect most of her critics could not pick, breed , or train a dog to beat her.

I respond to critical posts on this forum - not because I have to justify myself to anyone but I think it is necessary to try to put a reasoned point of view to those who apparently delight in posting only criticism. It is significant that all three of our events last year had the largest turnouts of terriers, lurchers and whippets so the vast majority of owners think we are getting it more right than wrong!

albertj

albert your being silly now about what i have put in red. i've had lurchers for a very long time so dont be insulting folk who know there dogs

Well Danny,

We are always willing to listen to experienced people who 'know their dogs' and are prepared to put their expertise forward and offer to judge. We have a UK lurcher judge for Shanes but there are four lurcher judges required for Birr - would you to put yourself forward?

AlbertJ

PS closed for the night - I'm just on my way out to celebrate st Pats.

no problem if someone called to me and asked

Do it DANNY! I'll bring my dogs and you can pick a winner :laugh::thumbs:

Albert you spend your life defending your actions doesn't that tell you something??

I have no need to 'defend my actions' - I did not select Rose to judge - but I did approve it.

I think it is most unfair of anyone to 'prejudge' a selected judge without waiting to see the result of the judging. Rose has been a big winner at our fairs and throughout the country for many years with good well conditioned dogs and I suspect most of her critics could not pick, breed , or train a dog to beat her.

I respond to critical posts on this forum - not because I have to justify myself to anyone but I think it is necessary to try to put a reasoned point of view to those who apparently delight in posting only criticism. It is significant that all three of our events last year had the largest turnouts of terriers, lurchers and whippets so the vast majority of owners think we are getting it more right than wrong!

albertj

albert your being silly now about what i have put in red. i've had lurchers for a very long time so dont be insulting folk who know there dogs

Well Danny,

We are always willing to listen to experienced people who 'know their dogs' and are prepared to put their expertise forward and offer to judge. We have a UK lurcher judge for Shanes but there are four lurcher judges required for Birr - would you to put yourself forward?

AlbertJ

:laugh: :laugh: would have to keep an opened mind on the day ;)
  • Like 1

albertj

Well Danny,

AlbertJ

are john and graham sendin u pm's sayin pick me :laugh:

albertj

Well Danny,

AlbertJ

no they would never do that its not there form :thumbs:

albertj

Well Danny,

AlbertJ

glad to hear it :laugh::thumbs:

albertj

Well Danny,

AlbertJ

glad to hear it :laugh::thumbs:

p666 one thing about me is im honest about my dogs and would be the same if aj asked me to be a judge
Guest Sorley Boys clan

albertj

Well Danny,

AlbertJ

dont forget who got you into the racing :thumbs:
  • Like 1

albertj

Well Danny,

AlbertJ

dont forget who got you into the racing :thumbs:

very true bud :victory: