Judges for Ballywalter Game Fair

The judges selected for the Ballywalter Game Fair for the Terrier, Whippet and Lurcher Show on the 6th May are as follows:

Whippets : Kieran Young Terriers : Barrie Wade Lurchers : Rose McCoy

This is in line with our policy of not only bringing in top UK judges but also giving opportunities to what we consider to be good Irish judges.

Please note earlier start time.

Classes to be posted soon.

Judges for Shanes will be posted soon.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The old shows are a good days craic...   Im waiting always waiting on the antique, arthritic, held together by pins rabbit class. But they haven't made one yet. When they do, we might be in for a ch

jaysus lads give the girl a break....i mean seriously does rosettes mean that much to yous ...just go and enjoy the show lads and if you dont like the judge dont show but jaysus give the weee girl a b

I have known Albert, Seamus and matt for coming on 35 years....all my days in lurchers...they have organised, showed and held events all over the country to let every lurcher, terrier and whippet man

Posted Images

Danny 300,

Rose has been one of the most consistent racing winners that I can remember at the Fairs. She obviously knows how to pick and train a dog. And as one of our younger enthusiasts , who has judged before, I am quite happy that she will be both a competent and a fair judge. Why are so many people critical of Irish judges?

Lots of people have asked that we post our judges in advance although it can lead to rather unfair criticism of the judges in advance and 'pre judging' what they will do. This isn't always right but it is human nature to do so. I have to say, I even said, in advance of the final, to the owner of the ultimately Five Nations Championships that he was up against it with two long dog type judges out of three. I was proved wrong as I trust you will be about Rose's judging.

Why not give her a chance to show what she can do - I personally think she has earned her chance and I have total confidence in all three judges for Ballywalter.

Albertj

O my god

Love to hear what your dogs - if you have any as we are still waiting to see a photo - have done racing or showing and/or what you have done in terms of judging.

It would appear that all you wish to do is to criticise our initiatives and shows - thankfully you appear to be part of a vey small minority!

Albertj

iv heard it all now ,someone that races dogs is a good judge of WORKING dogs ,

TH,

Our fairs include shows and racing. Anyone who has a good racing dog is obviously competent to judge conformation and condition. Can you tell me how anyone can judge what is a good working dog at a show?

Albertj

• Like 2

How ,many times has that wee girl Rose dug to a quarry Race dogs she has a fair idea Credit due she does well at the . I nrver seen her at a show without Mummy and Daddy But to judge our working dogs forget that

How ,many times has that wee girl Rose dug to a quarry Race dogs she has a fair idea Credit due she does well at the . I nrver seen her at a show without Mummy and Daddy But to judge our working dogs forget that

give your day up showing and you judge it ......

Pigsy,

A dog show judge judges on conformation and condition and arguably on whether a dog is for purpose. The first two ae obvious the third is rather more intangible. However a dog show judge cannot assess a dog's working ability. Someone like Rose who has consistently produced racing winners is obviously very competent to assess conformation and condition - her dogs have both othewise they could not win!

A dog show is not a test of digging - if you want to test your digging ability I suggest we see you at the Mourne show!

I say give the girl a chance.

Albertj

Albert J

Danny 300,

Rose has been one of the most consistent racing winners that I can remember at the Fairs. She obviously knows how to pick and train a dog. And as one of our younger enthusiasts , who has judged before, I am quite happy that she will be both a competent and a fair judge. Why are so many people critical of Irish judges?

Lots of people have asked that we post our judges in advance although it can lead to rather unfair criticism of the judges in advance and 'pre judging' what they will do. This isn't always right but it is human nature to do so. I have to say, I even said, in advance of the final, to the owner of the ultimately Five Nations Championships that he was up against it with two long dog type judges out of three. I was proved wrong as I trust you will be about Rose's judging.

Why not give her a chance to show what she can do - I personally think she has earned her chance and I have total confidence in all three judges for Ballywalter.

Albertj

albert you have just gone ten steps backwards why pick someone who has never worked a dog in her life. you have good ideas but you need a better judge for the lurchers if you want to encourage more lads to take there working dogs to your shows. danny
  • Like 2

A wee girl who comes to the show with mummy and daddy. And never done a nights work with her dogs is not gong to judge my dog fit for pupose

Everyone is entitled to an opinion mine is wrong choice of judge Albert Have Kieran and Rose not judged before ? why use the same folk to judge over and over What show is John Humperys judging ?

A wee girl who comes to the show with mummy and daddy. And never done a nights work with her dogs is not gong to judge my dog fit for pupose

Everyone is entitled to an opinion mine is wrong choice of judge Albert Have Kieran and Rose not judged before ? Why use the same folk to judge over and over What show is John Humperys judging ?

Rose has not judged at our shows before but she has won plenty at them. Kieran judged lurchers last year - I heard no complaints and the dog he qualified won the Five Nations under three different judges. As you know he also keeps whippets and we felt he was competent to judge them As I said we intend to mix Irish and UK judges. I feel it is an insult to Irish judges if they cannot have respect when they judge at home. It is no surprse that a number of potentially good Irish judges shy away from judging because of the way they get 'pre judged' on this and other forums.

At the end of the day this is not a test of working ability but in effect getting someone's opinon on your dog's mainly conformation but also condition. These are two things a judge can actually judge. More intangible and subject to more subjective opinion is whether the dog is workmanlike or fit for purpose. You simply can't judge for working ability in a show ring.

John Humphries jusged the All Ireland in 2010 and as he won the Master Mc Grath we thought it appropriate to be one of three judges for the Five Nations - and they put up a working dog! But one with good conformation and in excellent condition!

Albertj