Bringing a dog on

Im new to this website, and to be honest pretty new to the hobbie/sport whatever you guys call it here, I've always wondered due to the fact the people i know bring on there dogs by generally doubling them up with a tried and tested beast in the field.

What if someone has no one with a dog to double up with, or one does not own a dog already in its working prime, how would one go about fetching there dog onto the field for the bunnys, wether it be via ferreting, lamping, or just strolling, is it a case of simply presenting a dog with something to chase ect,

This does all apply to me, ive got my dog jumping, retreiving dummys, recall, sit stay, you name it, its simply a case of the final hurdle for my 14month old dog.

Thanks to everyone who replys to this nooby post, but if i cant ask it here then there aint no where else to ask :)

regards.

I've brought up a few pups without doubling them up, the reason I double them up when bringing them into the game is so they come on quicker and so they're less frustrating. When you bring a pup up (depending on the dog) it can take a while for them to figure it out and then there's others that just pick it up straight away.

Edited by Ausnick

I brought on a whippet pup she nearly 2 and half year old now. She still never seen another dog working retrieve is 100% cuz she knows no different only ever seen bunnies though. I started her ferreting at young age no chasing just watching then up around 11 or 12 months a few easy bunnies. Her strike took a while but once she mastered that she gets bunnies now every time where out. only lamp her now no ferreting all season just lamping as the gets older all clicks into place can be frustrating at times this was my first running dog also. Stopped now as its all for fun and does are full of young. My point is you don't need another dog just patients but I do understand the benefits cuz at times I wud have loved the opertunity to bring her on quicker.but on the other side of the coin she's learned it all herself now.she lifts squatters goes under fences through hedges etc but this all came with time and nights out.

if you can get confidence into the dog by picking your runs etc and making things as easy as possible in the early stages of entering then as a rule things should build as the season and experience progresses.

I would always start a dog working on its own rather than doubling it up with another dog particularly on rabbits as i feel that this is better for obedience. I have seen too many dogs playing tug of war with their catch when doubled up instead of retrieving it to hand and when you do get the bunny back it is often crunced to a pulp. I'm not saying that this allways happens but it can do quite often. I also think that a young dog will be more focused on the job in hand if it is out on its own without the distraction from another dog when you are waiting for abolt/walking the fields with the lamp. Out in the daytime a pup can learn to hunt up etc from an older dog quicker than it would have done on its own but I would say that an occasional walk out with mates dogs providing they are obedient would be sufficient to give your young dog a good idea of what it needs to do rather than risk you dog focusing more on the other dog than you or becoming disheartened by the older more experienced dogs catching everything under your young dogs nose. If you wait untill your dog is mature enough for a run then try to get them a few easy catches mixi rabbits are good to start then pick your runs after that untill your dogs confidence builds then you should have no problems. I have had dogs that wouldnt even chase when they were around 11 months old (not mature enough for that particular dog???) but give them time an they learn what's what.

When it comes to lamping dont double up at all, let it learn from its own mistakes. Pick out easy runs, be selective so that is gives the young lurcher a better chance of catching and therefore building its confidence. Doubling up will knacker up the retrieve training you have put the time into and there is that risk of an accident. When you go ferreting then not a problem, it can be doubled up, as it will learn a lot from an experienced dog (but try and find a good marking and biddable dog to go with) and after a few sessions, take her/him out on their own....just you and the dog. Otherwise your youngen may get too reliant on the experienced dog to do the work.

Where abouts are you mate? I bet there are a few lads that will teach you and the dog the ropes. You seem pretty switched on to what is required, but we are all learning every day and surprising how much you can pick up from someone else, even if you dont want to admit it...lol