any info on australian terrier's

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Australian terriers are athletes. I have got one 14 months old will fetch rats off the bank no probs. They can jump like no other terrier i have seen and they come down on there front legs to catch vermin. They were used in Australia to kill snakes and vermin on the homesteads they bite behind the snakes head to kill them after they have done a big leap in the air.You might be able to kick it up the arse if you could catch it pal! I would liken there pace to that of a Jack Russell .They weigh about 14-15lb so no good on fox etc .Not like a yorkie as they are wire haired. The australian silky terrier is the dog that is more like a yorkie only a bit bigger.They aint got the power of a lakeland say, but lets be honest who gets access to fox these days (not many if their honest) but ratting, i think by next winter aged two he would measure upto any other dog in a rat pack. Also they are not yappy little fuckers like westies etc and gwill let the kids pull him about. Great in the house and shaping up well outside.

Edited by prh61
  • 2 weeks later...

i had an australian terrier cross and she was a good dog for what she was and how much she'd seen, natural sheep hearding ability too. always full of beans when out and had a great nose, had climbed a tree or two aswell. a real goer that is still missed. silky terriers are not an aussie

extract from the observer book of dogs 1966

a fairly popular dog in australia and new zealand is the australian terrier, which is a low set dog obviously showing its descent from the yorkshire,norwich,cairn and other british terriers, which togeather made this comparatively recent breed, although this breed has many devotees in the antipodes and has been about since 1860, it is still not bred as meticulously as it might be. in fact, many of the british bred stock are finer in type. sydney silky dogs are frequently crossed with the australians, which is not to the advantage of either. the breed was introduced to great britain in 1903,and thanks to the pioneering work of of the countess of stradboke and mrs bassett it has become quite well known.

height 10 in. weight 10-11 lb. colour blue or silver grey on body with tan on the leggs and face, alternativly sandy or red. coat straight and hard, ears pricked or dropped forward,tail docked short.