Is they any ill effect of a dog eating spiked bramble stalk's apart from spiked gum's and tongue..this pup i have here keep's eating the fooking thing's for some strange reason.. :blink:

Is they any ill effect of a dog eating spiked bramble stalk's apart from spiked gum's and tongue..this pup i have here keep's eating the fooking thing's for some strange reason.. :blink:

not sure bout ill effects bud, but canine's use chewing and ingestion as a tension release ,,

Is the pup teething Millet? Apart from the spikes all the damage it could do is a dodgy tummy from a bit of 'over sap' but natural things know natural things, shouldn't do any harm, i'm sure it'll be just a phase... ;)

Is the pup teething Millet? Apart from the spikes all the damage it could do is a dodgy tummy from a bit of 'over sap' but natural things know natural things, shouldn't do any harm, i'm sure it'll be just a phase... ;)

She is teething mate and she is wrecking the fooking house and garden.. :laugh: ..seen pup's eat some strange thing's but never spiked bramble stem's..

I always give mine willow branches to chew on when they are teething: yes, the mess is incredible: bits of twigs, bark and leaves everywhere, but it keeps pups happy and stops them trying to chew stuff they shouldn't. My reason? Willow contains various pain killing and anti-inflammatory chemicals.

See this link: http://www.livestrong.com/article/123952-willow-bark-vs.-aspirin/

Doesn't seem to do the dogs any harm at all, and, like I said, keeps them happy.

That's not a bad idea and a good link Skycat..but im not so keen on a pup running about with twig's in there mouth's incase they spike there inner throat especialy this head banger.. :D

Millet: I learned long ago that if a pup really wants to do itself some damage, it will find a way! Unless you can keep it in a padded cell 24/7. :tongue2:

I do hear what you're saying though. But green, fresh willow shoots are quiet soft and bendy and I've never had a problem yet, despite two pups tearing up and down the garden carrying bits in their jaws. If you're really worried then how about cutting a 'log' off a bigger branch and letting her chew on it: she'll strip the bark away and be left with something too big to swallow.

Edited by skycat

That sound's like a plan.. :victory: ..i have a load of conifer branches laid around the garden which she sprint's about with no bother they are too big too carry by the end so she has too pick them up in the middle..i will be on a mission later to source some willow.. :yes:

Well i have scattered willow branches all over the lawn but she is more interested in the stuff she should not have.. :D ...like the expensive shrub's i have planted around the garden which she keep's pruning for me.. :blink: