To all the spaniel folk

in the far distant past i wanted an ess then i did'nt know that you could get a working type or a show type i just got myself an ess spaniel she turned out to be a show type like photo i have to say she was loyal and a good companion who had some savvy about her but she always looked bloody miserable and Sporty she wasn't .

• Like 1

if you look at some old pics of spaniels they do look heavy and deap chested and they did work the one i owned was very strong but lazy no drive at all .like all dogs i think it could probably have been trained to work mybe not all that good but as its been bred for show !!!.

if you look at some old pics of spaniels they do look heavy and deap chested and they did work the one i owned was very strong but lazy no drive at all .like all dogs i think it could probably have been trained to work mybe not all that good but as its been bred for show !!!.

Yeh KC people aren't going to want a high energy dog that's hard to control...they probably have bred all the drive out of it to have a 'good temperament'

• Like 1

What an absolute shame,I wish these so called dog lovers would stick to poodles and the kennel club would stop playing God and not try to breed dogs to look at instead of what they should be doing and sticking to a dogs originality, spaniels are working dogs and are only truly happy when they are working and pleasing their master.

Mine would give it heart failure if it spent a couple of hours with it.

Did any watch the 'gun dog' judging at crufts on tv last night?? :whistling:

I knew i'd forgotten to watch something. I'm guessing their idea of gundog looked like the Springer in the picture above?