please help, advice needed,

Like has already been said, dogs don't normally fight with bitches. A dog which is already a problem dog, by your own admission, needs sorting, one way or another. At the very least he should be castrated then give it a few months for the lack of hormones to alter his behaviour. If he continues to be aggressive or difficult in any way whatsoever, then have him put down. In the mean time, never allow them to be loose together, and learn more about how to control dogs in general. If the dog has problems, and it sounds as though he's never been properly trained or disciplined (forgive me if I'm wrongly reading between the lines) then how about getting some training for yourself on how better to understand the dynamics of owning a pack (yes, two dogs is a pack) and handling them.

In your situation I'd contact Jim Greenwood for behavioural training and advice.

http://www.jandjgreenwood.co.uk/

That's the first time i've seen you give what i would call 'extreme / bad ' advice.

If a dog is difficult in any way . . . . . put it down. :hmm:

:icon_redface: You're dead right: I wasn't thinking properly and I didn't read my post through again before posting> very bad :icon_redface: I apologize.

Though I did go on to suggest contacting Jim, who is very good at sorting out pack/behavioural problems. PTS is a last resort for truly psychopathic individuals when all else has failed.

Edited to add: I should have asked how bad the injuries were as a result of this fight: if no skin had been torn, then it wasn't a 'full on fight' at all, but a quarrel where there is lots of noise, teeth flashing, growling and snarling, but no real tooth contact.

And I should also have asked if the bitch was about to come in season. And I should also have asked the original poster to think back and try to see if there had been any simmering problems in the past, something which might point the finger at why the 'fight' had started.

thank you ideation for pulling me up on this> a salutary reminder to think before I post!!!

Plus, there's no way anyone should be giving advice on the back of the owner's description of a bust up: dogs need to be seen in their own environment with the owner before any behaviourist (professional or otherwise) starts making assumptions on the whys and wherefores of any situation. Owners often don't see the behaviour which eventually gives rise to a full on fight, missing out on the small signs of unrest.

Edited by skycat

:icon_redface: You're dead right: I wasn't thinking properly and I didn't read my post through again before posting> very bad :icon_redface: I apologize.

Though I did go on to suggest contacting Jim, who is very good at sorting out pack/behavioural problems. PTS is a last resort for truly psychopathic individuals when all else has failed.

:thumbs:

I just think there is a world of difference between a dog scrapping with its kennel mate, and going for a person, the latter probably needs a hole in the ground, the former, just needs a bit of putting in line :thumbs:

i just wouldnt have a fighter about in a lurcher full stop , or i would have corrected it as a pup, had dogs could fight luke was a bastrad but in general had him well trained so very rarely got the chance and he calmed down as he got older , i kennel dog and bitch but could kennel 2 dogs together if i had to they know who the boss is me not them , start enforcing youre the boss and watch him, what he is all about , if your a good dog man youll see what he is all about ,and correct it had a terrier a patt of a famous dog man from wales worked like a demon but some days he would fite with other dogs others he was pleasanrt i had to learn what he was all about and correct it , which i did ,let you other dog get more atention if he gets jealous put him in his place bottom of pecking order

it was just a emotional charge working its way out bud, it could be called a grudge but thats too personal, if she was the first dog to discipline him for being unruly or too excited with her in a charged moment and swiftly corrected him ,it would have left him with an emotional scar as such, and whatever goes in must come out, but only in another highly charged moment similar to the first,

like a young dog spanked by a fox early in life , the charge left in the dog from the first encounter becomes internalized and will need another fox to bring it out again, and according to his temperament will either be come a fox junkie, or will be crazy about foxes but doesnt have the temperament or bottle to make contact,

i would worry bout this one at all, the dog is just shaking off that charge, he is so attracted to her it taking him this long to express it, but in saying that there must have been a motive for it,,??

Thanks all,castration and pts are definetly a route i dont want to take unless was completly necessary,should of said fight drew no wounds, was over in seconds, maybee i havent trained him properly skycat,ive done my best with em both,but my general obediance seems fine for the last 5 years,i must admit he doesnt like other dogs but wil tolerate them, they both work, in the summer i attend the jrtgb shows with my friend who runs the southern region and enter him in working lurcher ring,hes ok doing that never had problem,even got 1st outta eight in best working condition and 1st rough coat dog under 23" at midhurst two year back,so he is well socialized, attended car boots all his puppy life interacting with dogs,stock broken to all, he just only accepts my bitch, thanks all youve been a great help,hopefully he was just getting a bit big for his boots, seems more in his place now,my main concern was leaving them as wouldent be there to seperate if they did go,the missus will be working from home soon so that will help cheers rich.

sound advice people

Then is wasn't a real fight at all if there was no blood drawn and over in seconds. Just an argument. Does the dog try and wind the bitch up, poking at her, or grabbing her neck to try and play or dominate? My bitches often have to put young male dogs in their place, and they're always a lot more touchy before they come in season. You say that you keep both together all the time, so I assume the bitch is spayed as the dog is not castrated. If she's not spayed then how do you manage when she is in season?

Thanks all,castration and pts are definetly a route i dont want to take unless was completly necessary,should of said fight drew no wounds, was over in seconds, maybee i havent trained him properly skycat,ive done my best with em both,but my general obediance seems fine for the last 5 years,i must admit he doesnt like other dogs but wil tolerate them, they both work, in the summer i attend the jrtgb shows with my friend who runs the southern region and enter him in working lurcher ring,hes ok doing that never had problem,even got 1st outta eight in best working condition and 1st rough coat dog under 23" at midhurst two year back,so he is well socialized, attended car boots all his puppy life interacting with dogs,stock broken to all, he just only accepts my bitch, thanks all youve been a great help,hopefully he was just getting a bit big for his boots, seems more in his place now,my main concern was leaving them as wouldent be there to seperate if they did go,the missus will be working from home soon so that will help cheers rich.

sound advice people

ive got 2 dogs kenneled togeather father and son only ever had 2 fights, well fights is the wrong word, incidents is probably better, the first 3 years ago when the young dog was about 12 months old the old dog put him in his place and then last year when the young dog took on the old dog and took his place in the pack, mainly posture and noise but the was the odd puncture on the snout. these 2 eat,sleep, play and work togeather 24/7 both are submissive to the old bitch in home and all 3 are submissive to me.

Then is wasn't a real fight at all if there was no blood drawn and over in seconds. Just an argument. Does the dog try and wind the bitch up, poking at her, or grabbing her neck to try and play or dominate? My bitches often have to put young male dogs in their place, and they're always a lot more touchy before they come in season. You say that you keep both together all the time, so I assume the bitch is spayed as the dog is not castrated. If she's not spayed then how do you manage when she is in season?

yea i guess it wasnt a proper fight and yes was over in seconds because i stopped it.

my concern was if i wasnt there would it of been alot worse,they have always played with him submitting to her leting her chase and pin him,they are both entire,she comes in once a year, generally after the first week shel go to a sisters till over,if there is one thing i can think may of triggerd it was a couple biscuits in a bowl near were they were when fight(argument) happend but my back was turned i couldent tell if one was eating or simillar,strange as they always swapabout bowls once finished and all that, will make sure bowels up in future after feeding to eliminate any sparks,he seems more in his place now since incident not as cocky as he may of been getting right before me without me noticing cheers rich

the dogs have just had a bit of a spat nothing in it mate your bitch was just putting the dog in its place might never happen again i wish you all the best with your dogs to many on here to ready to get rid or pts ffs atb troter

Is the bitch starting to come into season ,it can easily start fights if the dog wants his rocks and the bitch is not coming across,and what will you do if the bitch does come into season if ye cant seperate them ,your surely not gona let them breed every time she has a season,I have't read all the posts so if you have already said she is spayed ignore my post :thumbs::icon_redface:

Is the bitch starting to come into season ,it can easily start fights if the dog wants his rocks and the bitch is not coming across,and what will you do if the bitch does come into season if ye cant seperate them ,your surely not gona let them breed every time she has a season,I have't read all the posts so if you have already said she is spayed ignore my post :thumbs::icon_redface:

shes not spayed, she goes to a relative when in season cheers