Ferrets & Ferreting DVD

With a Birthday approaching, I've been avoiding buying stuff like hunting books and videos recently. However, my Missus is so set against ferrets in our family, that sadly I felt 100% safe to invest £20 on the recent Ferrets and Ferreting DVD by Simon Whitehead.

Before I continue, I should say that I'm a complete novice so far as ferreting is concerned. I've been out with ferreters the odd time, but they were always an accessory to get a run for the lurchers, so I've never seen it done "properly". I've never kept my own ferrets either. However in typical "armchair" fashion, I've read the books, the mags, and latterly t'internet.....so I wasn't utterly ignorant, or at least I thought not.......til I watched this.

The DVD is roughly divided into 3 parts.

The first is concerned with "domestics" like history, husbandry, housing and handling. There's a bit of health and sex education in there too, in particular the avoidance of unwanted pregnancy is well "covered".......

The best way I can describe this section is imagine you were sat in Simon's yard, drinking a brew, fussing his lurchers, handling his ferrets, and having a bit of a "pick yer brains" chat. I think all the questions I would ask in those circumstances were answered, and quite a few I wouldn't've thought of til I encountered problems back home.

The second part is making the transition from yard to field, kitting yourself out, familiarising yourself with the equipment, relevant law, getting your permission, reconnaissance and preparation of ground.

The final section takes you to the field, to learn the role of lurchers, art of netting up, efficient dispatch and re netting, location, digging, use of long nets and a typical day out. As well as being instructional, this section is as enjoyable a ferreting sequence as I've seen anywhere. The days of the wobbly camera, naff focus and dodgy sound are left behind, this is TV documentary type quality.

In summary, as an introduction to ferreting, it works for me both as education and entertainment. I thought I'd read it all, but if a picture speaks a thousand words, then how many words does a well filmed sequence convey?

Well I've read the book and now I've seen the film. Now all I can do is keep playing the DVD in the hope that a subliminal message will hypnotise R Lass!

Guest HAWKEYE
SMALLY I HAVE A CPL OF KITS BLACK EYED WHITES I THINK THEY WILL BE

I ALSO HAVE A CAGE THAT WITH A LITTLE DIY WILL DO THE JOB ......

THEY ARE YOURS IF YOU WANT THEM ..........

YIS FELLMAN

dont get them smallmouth , Fellman is a waster who onlys wants to bum you ,,,, hard and with fred the docker watching :icon_eek:

SMALLY I HAVE A CPL OF KITS BLACK EYED WHITES I THINK THEY WILL BE

I ALSO HAVE A CAGE THAT WITH A LITTLE DIY WILL DO THE JOB ......

THEY ARE YOURS IF YOU WANT THEM ..........

YIS FELLMAN

dont get them smallmouth , Fellman is a waster who onlys wants to bum you ,,,, hard and with fred the docker watching :icon_eek:

STOP BEING LIEKETHAT HAWKEYE ...YOU KNOW YOU ONLY WANT TO KEEP ME FOR YOURSELF!

YOU TOLD ME SO LOL YIS FELLMAN

Thanks very much Snelly, I'll really look forward to that.

fellman, I'd love a pair of black eyed whites, and might even consider enduring the bumming for them :D , (after all there's a first time for everything...but fred can't watch as I'm a shy boy :11: ).

But the difficulty lies, I'm afraid, in persuading the Missus. Who wears the trousers? I hear you say......well........errm..... :D

they are yours for free with the cage ......but you have to tell me fast cos im gonna bust the cage up

tell yer mrs your looking after them for a mate

then after a week come home crying tell her your mate is dead and you will have to keep the ferrets ......oh and you get to bunk off work for the funeral as well

yis fellman

Thanks for the offer fellman, but don't hang on to them for me. I know you'll understand the difficulty with wives if I just say "Air Arms S410K"...... :11:

Seriously, if I'd thought there was any chance of getting away with it, I'd've sorted some ferrets last year when I still had the old shed to convert into a court. We had the "ferret discussion" then......:aggressive: .....and I lost......... :whistle:

Just show the missus a couple of itsy witsy babby ferrets in your hand and she'll go AAAAHHHHH I never knew they were so SWEET.

Then hide 'em until they've got over the nipping stage, lol :angel:

Thanks for the offer fellman, but don't hang on to them for me.  I know you'll understand the difficulty with wives if I just say "Air Arms S410K"...... :11:

Seriously, if I'd thought there was any chance of getting away with it, I'd've sorted some ferrets last year when I still had the old shed to convert into a court.  We had the "ferret discussion" then......:aggressive: .....and I lost......... :whistle:

YEHA BUT I ENDED UP WITH A LANBER O/U ........SO THINGS WERE NOT THAT BAD .............LOL NEVER DID GET ME AIR GUN MIND LOL

I gave up on the ferret persuasion for this year, when it started to lead to talk of needing a bigger house and garden........... :icon_eek:

Still, the DVD's good, and at least I'll have a clue how to go on when the ferret day finally comes........... :D