first let me say if this is in the wrong section im very sorry..

I go ferreting and shooting and get plenty of rabbits.. I will be getting a lurcher when im off the sick and want to make something for the lurcher using the rabbit fur to teach it to retrieve..(i dont know what the actual thing is called sorrt).. how would i go about doing this? i dont know anything about using skin/fur so starting from the basics after ive skinned a rabbit would be really helpful.

thanks!

for my lab i just brought a cheap tranning dummy and wrapped a rabbit skin round it and stiched along the sides to keep it together,

i didnt use any tratments on the skin, keep the natral smell, just straight on, ive done the same with pigeon wings and phes.

the same would work for you, but iam no expert on lurchers mind lol

saves spending daft money. :tongue2:

hi you need a board you can stretch the skin over that will accept pins or something to staple it down.

stretch out the skin pin it down and rub salt of alum on it . leave it in a dry warm place and let it cure , change the salt if it smells bad or takes up to much liquid .

once it properly dry it will be like paper . you need to tan it from there you can use allsorts of things but one easy one is to use the brain . every animals brain is enough to treat its pelt .

rub it in and pull and tease at the skin till is supple .

i used to do this stuff all the time when i was a kid i dint like the idea of waisting it ha ha

if i was training a dog i would just use fresh skins pulled over a training dummy and hold it on with cable ties and lob the pelt after training . you can leave the head and feet on and its super realistic .

the last one i did i skinned it and kept it all in one piece. left the head and feet on it just removed the body. stuffed it with newspaper and sewed the belly back up. perfect looking bunny! lol then went down the park and threw it around for the pup, got a few queer looks off the mums down there i tell yer lol. lasted a few days then just did another one.

• Like 1

the last one i did i skinned it and kept it all in one piece. left the head and feet on it just removed the body. stuffed it with newspaper and sewed the belly back up. perfect looking bunny! lol then went down the park and threw it around for the pup, got a few queer looks off the mums down there i tell yer lol. lasted a few days then just did another one.

haha aye i can imagine some comments if people spot ya chucking, as far as they know, a rabbit around :p

• 5 weeks later...

I just salt the skin for a day (on the inside, for the tards out there) and then square it off with scissors and sew it round a tennis ball - keeps the smell of the bunny in and prevents the skin from rotting.

If the skin gets too dry and hard to make malleable, a splash of water reinvigorates it long enough to sew it.

• Like 1

that man is fecking crackers you aint wrong there pal i did expect the little mutt to have his nose off though in the 1st vid shame like would of mad afew lads day :thumbs:

Check out some of his other videos on youtube mate, well worth a giggle! :blink: :blink: :blink::D :D