problem with jumping

as above im having a bit of hassel getting my 3qtr whippet 1 qtr grey to jump fences he will jump 5 foot high walls no bother at all but as soon as it comes to fences or gates he will not even try i dont know if it is because he can see through them i have tryed crossing a fence and leaving him on the other side and just walking away but he always seems to find a way through any help and advice would be appreciated

Cheers Bryson

take him to a smaller fence say about 3 ft , as long as he can see you the other side . Then just walk away from him, as you say he can handle smaller fences, so he will get over, dont matter if crys just keep walking. How old is the dog,?you never said.! but if he his jumping already just carry on .!

take him to a smaller fence say about 3 ft , as long as he can see you the other side . Then just walk away from him, as you say he can jump walls so he will get over, dont matter if crys just keep walking. How old is the dog,?you never said.! but if he his jumping already just carry on .!

Dog's that jump will jump wall's all day long as they can get a solid purchase on the top of the wall..fence's are differant as they wobble when touched so if your dog has jumped plenty of walls then tries a fence in the same manner he will be put of so to speak,,do as Bird say's and try him on a smaller fence and do it regular..then progress onto a higher one..if he whine's and wont jump stick your arm flat over the top and pat your arm so he see's what he is aiming for..if he still wont jump and you know he can't get under the fence and it is not barb wire on the top try walking away and ignoring him..if that does not work get back to basic's..

Guest borntoevade1988

mate get you dog some of that orange fencing they put on building sites and a few metal pegs and take the dog some where like a narrow ally way where he carnt get around the fence and has to jump it and he will do it mate thats what i dun [bANNED TEXT] my dog ziess hes geting on awsume now

mate get you dog some of that orange fencing they put on building sites and a few metal pegs and take the dog some where like a narrow ally way where he carnt get around the fence and has to jump it and he will do it mate thats what i dun [bANNED TEXT] my dog ziess hes geting on awsume now

thats coz its a black water thay do that lol

as above im having a bit of hassel getting my 3qtr whippet 1 qtr grey to jump fences he will jump 5 foot high walls no bother at all but as soon as it comes to fences or gates he will not even try i dont know if it is because he can see through them i have tryed crossing a fence and leaving him on the other side and just walking away but he always seems to find a way through any help and advice would be appreciated

Cheers Bryson

Had a same type of problem myself so found a gate where he couldnt get round and just stayed there till he done the jump. In the video below (if it works) he is a year old now he is 2 and loves jumping. The 1st vid is the first time at the gate then the 2nd vid i made him do it straight away and then left it there untill the next jump training hope it helps mate.

th_21102010009.jpg

th_bomberjumping2.jpg

ive been having the same problem. my dog will jump a stone wall on demand but a fence he always pulled up on and wouldent go over. managed to get him jumping smaller fences by putting my coat over it but still struggling a little bit with higher ones.

find a smaller fence that isnt barbed. and if he chases tennis balls or something els that he fetches. throw it over the fence and give your jump command when hes going to jump. if it doesnt work straight away then get him exsited and throw the ball around the field for him then try it again. you dont want your dog panicing when jumping fence's other wise he is just gunna injure himself. keep on doing that for a while and work your way up to higher fence's then he should jump prity much any think on command.

worked realy well with my lurcher

One of the best ways I've found with my bitch she can be the biggest pain in the ass when it came too fences still is abit but getting better find a spot that is nice and flat and has a strong fence jump over and throw a good strong jacket over the barb dog will jump thinking it's a solid wall keep doing it in the same place then remove jacket and see how the dog gets on Well it worked for me

Cheers Bryson

Had a same type of problem myself so found a gate where he couldnt get round and just stayed there till he done the jump. In the video below (if it works) he is a year old now he is 2 and loves jumping. The 1st vid is the first time at the gate then the 2nd vid i made him do it straight away and then left it there untill the next jump training hope it helps mate.

th_21102010009.jpg

th_bomberjumping2.jpg

Thats a leg break waiting to happen training dogs to jump over that!!

ive just got my 3/4 whippet x 1/4 bull jumping fences, did it by teaching him to jump small walls. he would jump up then use his legs to spring him over. i then used a wire fence with my coat over it to get him used to not touching the fence and now he springs over with ease. i wouldnt get him jumping too high tho... injury could never be too far away :thumbs:

thanks for the replys lads the dog is 11 month old now i think i will try putting my jacket on the fence and see how he gets on i suppose i have all summer to work on it cheers again

Bryson

Cheers Bryson

in cases like this bud where the dog just doesn't want to jump for the sake of it, leave him to do what he wants,

he will jump something when he needs too like the wall, but like any animal unlike man he will only use whatever energy he needs too in any situation,

energy to him like any animal is his most valuable resource, and the value of the energy output to jump everything you want him too, just dont add up to him,

Nature know best,,best of luck with him,

[bANNED TEXT] my pup was about 15 weeks old a trew a ball for him as a was doing a bit retreiveing with him n the ball bounced over a 5 bar gat and landed just on the other side so a jumped over to pick it up n heard a raket to find that my pup had jupmed up the fence and was on pulling him self over the top of it and as ya do a had a little panic as how he would land so a ran to the fence to grab the dog off the top of the fence as he had just reached the top but he just dived straight off it. then a threw the ball over so that a had both hands free to pick up the pup and put him over the fence but as soon as a threw the ball the pup dived at the fence, pulled him self over and jumped off to the other side before a had chance to grab him and ever since he has not had a problem with fences