Gunna start cycling with the Dog as soon as I pick up a cheap bike..

I've got a route where I can have him off the lead with no worries. Should I just let him wander off at first and empty himself out before riding?

I plan on just having him trotting at first to get him used to it, how long would be a decentish time to start him off? 10, 20 minutes?

Butch

Chance to empty is always a good idea, then slow and steady building up distance gradually. With the warmer weather coming be especially careful. Initial time/distance will depend on how fit /old the dog is. Begin with slower and shorter than you think it can cope with, if its starts to lagg behind slow down. Aim for a steady dog trot, not canter, untill its fit then allow free running with a steady trot recovery when reqd.

It better to run with the dog than bike that way you develop together and so don't over do it plus its easier to control the dog/stop etc.

Gunna start cycling with the Dog as soon as I pick up a cheap bike..

I've got a route where I can have him off the lead with no worries. Should I just let him wander off at first and empty himself out before riding?

I plan on just having him trotting at first to get him used to it, how long would be a decentish time to start him off? 10, 20 minutes?

Butch

If you have a fairly fit dog already you'll be far tired before it is, keep pedalling................... :thumbs:

• Like 2