Brother to sister mating is it to close,

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A brother sister mating from which a bitch was again put back to the sire produced this dog. Like the rest of the litter he is bursting with health and vitality and hes slightly bigger than both of hi

mC you are totally wrong about a terrier not being a performance athlete, a terrier gone to ground working Fox and Badger (historically) pushes its body through the pain barrier more than any other ca

my old bitch bred like that she thrived on lots of stick n the stronger the hares the better for her. 

Posted Images

A fella I know did the brother / sister mating , and while there was nothing physically wrong with the offspring , he did struggle a bit in school .

He still turned out not to bad though mate............. and now you mention it have you had a postcard from Sweden lately?

• Like 1

Whisperingeye, I have keeped and bred canaries since 1994, I have tried inbreeding line breeding and out crossing. Last year with my top stud bird I mated him with four different hens his sister,his aunt, his grandmother and an unrelated out cross. In total 29 young were produced all are fit and healthy whilst showing no defects. This current breeding season the same stud bird will be mated to 2 of his daughters from his sister mating, he will also be mated to one of his aunts daughters . The fourth hen he will be mated to is his great great great grandfathers daughter. You have received a lot of advice from other members tell you not to try this cross, I would say go for it, nothing ventured nothing gained. The only problem that I can see is that not many people would want to own one of your inbreds so you might have to cull hard. I would be interested to know how your dog is bred. Cheers and good luck Sherlock.

Whisperingeye, I have keeped and bred canaries since 1994, I have tried inbreeding line breeding and out crossing. Last year with my top stud bird I mated him with four different hens his sister,his aunt, his grandmother and an unrelated out cross. In total 29 young were produced all are fit and healthy whilst showing no defects. This current breeding season the same stud bird will be mated to 2 of his daughters from his sister mating, he will also be mated to one of his aunts daughters . The fourth hen he will be mated to is his great great great grandfathers daughter. You have received a lot of advice from other members tell you not to try this cross, I would say go for it, nothing ventured nothing gained. The only problem that I can see is that not many people would want to own one of your inbreds so you might have to cull hard. I would be interested to know how your dog is bred. Cheers and good luck Sherlock.

No shit Sherlock :D

sorry mate , I just had to say it

• Haha 1

Breeding that close will throw up deformities etc only if there are recessive genes on both sides which when doubled up, combine to have a bad effect: bit like breeding merle to merle, which can throw deaf, blind pups.

Say that both brother and sister are carrying, but not showing, a gene for cleft palate for example. By putting them together you'll get pups with cleft palates. You should only breed that close if you know for certain that there are no problems back in the line: with lurchers that may well be very difficult as so many people don't know the exact breeding of their dogs, nor if any of the ancestors had any problems.

How old are the dogs in question just out of interest ?

The old fella's say its called line breeding if it works and inbreeding when it dont , the reason i asked the age is that i would have prefered to take the b1tch back to her sire to hold the line but if he isnt available anymore you dont have a lot of choice , good luck with wotever you decide to do