Border Collie

Hi,

I have just bought 2 10 week old male border collies and was wondering if they could be trained to retrieve? I hear they are pretty inteligent dogs and can turn their paw to most things.. If so whats the best time to start training? I have bought a 210.5 whistle and a puppy dummy to begin with.. I have no experience with training dogs so sorry if I sound a bit stupid.. lol

Thanks

Shaun

if i had no experience with dogs i wouldnt of picked 2 male border collies at 10 weeks just my opinion will be hard work :thumbs:

I probably wouldnt have choose them either but had to keep the mrs. happy aswell and they were the only dogs she'd go for...

if i had no experience with dogs i wouldnt of picked 2 male border collies at 10 weeks just my opinion will be hard work :thumbs:

I probably wouldnt have choose them either but had to keep the mrs. happy aswell and they were the only dogs she'd go for...

sounds like you need to man up an show your missis whos the boss . . . . :laugh::tongue2: atb :thumbs:

sounds like you need to man up an show your missis whos the boss . . . . :laugh::tongue2: atb :thumbs:

She is... haha...

But in a serious note, Is it possible and where do I start?

I am of the opinion that a good collie will do pretty much anything you could ask of it (within reason). My first ferreting dogs were collies, and they were spot on.

The point that PJ was making i think, is that trying t raise and train any TWO dogs at the same time is a fecking nightmare, especially two intelligent, male dogs.

well you chose well mate before i started with gun dogs i kept collies 20 odd years and believe me they are cracking dogs to work with but and its a big but dont get to harsh with them as they take the huff very seriously and they lose your trust just be firm and let them know whos the boss [as with any dog] and im sure you will end up ok my dogs all hunted retrieved gaurded and were great family pets so YES you can get them to do most things a gun dog can do -atb billy

Border collies are without doubt one of the brightest dogs, which depending on your situation is either a blessing or a curse.

Will they retrieve?, yes and probably most other things you ask of it, my advice, keep one find a good home for the other, you'll make a better job of one, especially if you have to ask something as simple as will they retrieve. Alternatively you train one and let the wife train the other.

• Like 1

if you havent got much experience in training dogs iwould take the advice thats being given and let one pup go to a good home as you will find it very hardto train 2 dogs to a high standard ,ive just tried it! 2 springers and i thought i could do it but i had to give one up as it wasnt fair on either pup good luck mate

well you chose well mate before i started with gun dogs i kept collies 20 odd years and believe me they are cracking dogs to work with but and its a big but dont get to harsh with them as they take the huff very seriously and they lose your trust just be firm and let them know whos the boss [as with any dog] and im sure you will end up ok my dogs all hunted retrieved gaurded and were great family pets so YES you can get them to do most things a gun dog can do -atb billy

spot on mate, from a lurcher point of view, they can have to much brain at times. With these kind of dogs they think to much, if they dont want to do something they wont.And regards retrieving, even a 1/2 collie (1x collie grey) the dog might have hard + good night but will only still catch what it wants not what you want..? So as with a gun a full collie , will work with the gun no prob, as long as it wants to .?

spot on mate, from a lurcher point of view, they can have to much brain at times. With these kind of dogs they think to much, if they dont want to do something they wont.And regards retrieving, even a 1/2 collie (1x collie grey) the dog might have hard + good night but will only still catch what it wants not what you want..? So as with a gun a full collie , will work with the gun no prob, as long as it wants to .?

try to send you a pm .?

Thanks for all the replies. I think it will be hard to train 2 dogs. I was going to train them. Both separately anyway but thinking about it it will take far too much time. I've been trying some stuff out and managed to get one to sit on command within 5 mins and now when he sees me he comes and sits at my feet. The other is a bit less interested. I couldnt possibly rehome one of them. They are also going to be pets for the family. So perhaps just concentrate on training the one thats already responding and leave the other as a pet. Would that work? And could they still live happily together? Thanks. Shaun.

i have a little kelpie x lurcher. As long as its a game they are fine the minute you get upset or angry they know and my advice is just pack in trying.

Very sensitive dogs and they do think they know best most of the time. so its a subtle mix of perseverance and gentle persuasion.

I wouldnt fancy trying to train two of the buggers

Collies are good retrievers, I have used a few as gun dogs over the years. Beware that the collie brain can have a tendency to be obsessive. make sure that you add more to your training routine than just retrieving. otherwise they will fetch anything and everything at the expense of any other desired task. They will drive potty and never stop doing it. good luck!