2012 breeding log.

Been away for week family hols in France and not the best time for a bird keeper to go away but couldn't worm out of it,went away with a redpoll on 5 eggs and a couple of canary hens on mule eggs.Came back to no redpoll nest,all smashed and pulled to bits :censored: ,but a nice goldie nest with 5 eggs and a lutino nest with 4 eggs and both hens sitting tight :boogy: .Now the back step again,one canary jumped her nest and now i'm mum to 3 mule chicks and the other canary is sat on duff eggs.Birds eh don't they test you?. :laugh:

Been away for week family hols in France and not the best time for a bird keeper to go away but couldn't worm out of it,went away with a redpoll on 5 eggs and a couple of canary hens on mule eggs.Came back to no redpoll nest,all smashed and pulled to bits :censored: ,but a nice goldie nest with 5 eggs and a lutino nest with 4 eggs and both hens sitting tight :boogy: .Now the back step again,one canary jumped her nest and now i'm mum to 3 mule chicks and the other canary is sat on duff eggs.Birds eh don't they test you?. :laugh:

to right there fireman birds are testing at times on a brighter note theyre also full of surprises atb bunnys.

Very true mate and at times you wonder why,or i do anyway :laugh: .The 3 chicks made it through the night so good there and i have had 2 quail chicks hatch but 2 dead ones and the hen has left the nest so that looks it for them,allways a step back after the one forward but hey ho upwards and onwards and got a wedding to go to today so it'll be funny to see folks faces if i have to feed these chicks through the service as there in a cage nest box around my neck and under my jumper for the day. :icon_eek:

Very true mate and at times you wonder why,or i do anyway :laugh: .The 3 chicks made it through the night so good there and i have had 2 quail chicks hatch but 2 dead ones and the hen has left the nest so that looks it for them,allways a step back after the one forward but hey ho upwards and onwards and got a wedding to go to today so it'll be funny to see folks faces if i have to feed these chicks through the service as there in a cage nest box around my neck and under my jumper for the day. :icon_eek:

ya mad me chuckle there fella just dont get the chicks on the hard stuff to soon ha ha ha , atb bunnys.

Can you not put the mules under the hen with the duff eggs mate? It's surprising what you can get away with moving stuff around under hens when you need to. I put chicks under a hen that had only been sat a week and them eggs under the hen that had hatched the others and she sat again for the remaining time and hatched the second eggs.

Tried that Gnipper and she just sat them,didn't feed them just sat them.I had one of the chicks die yesterday but the other 2 are hanging in there but one is having to be a tad forced fed but all i can do is my best for them and the rest is up to the gods.

Good luck Fireman, got 4 chicks at a month, 4 at two weeks, 1 at 1 week, 4 at 3 days and two sitting on 4 eggs, so its fingers crossed, be more than pleased if they all rear them, early days and first time so prepared for some troubles along the way.

• Like 1

Well done mate,i only got one chick left but it's doing ok and i'll try to get some pics up later of it.It sounds like your doing something right and the very best of luck with the rest of them,The irish hen i got that keeps leaving the chicks i saw get trod by 3 different cocks yesterday,they all sat in a row and took turns on her,first a goldie cock,then a siskin cock,then the lesser redpoll cock had sloppy 3rd's so who knows what eggs she'll lay but seeing as i got a red factor hen nest building as well i'll rob the irish's eggs and put them under the red factor hen.Will just add the 3 cocks that trod her all have hens of there own kind flying with them so it seems they ain't allways loyal to a particular hen even when the bit on the side of a different breed of bird.

• Like 1

Well done mate,i only got one chick left but it's doing ok and i'll try to get some pics up later of it.It sounds like your doing something right and the very best of luck with the rest of them,The irish hen i got that keeps leaving the chicks i saw get trod by 3 different cocks yesterday,they all sat in a row and took turns on her,first a goldie cock,then a siskin cock,then the lesser redpoll cock had sloppy 3rd's so who knows what eggs she'll lay but seeing as i got a red factor hen nest building as well i'll rob the irish's eggs and put them under the red factor hen.Will just add the 3 cocks that trod her all have hens of there own kind flying with them so it seems they ain't allways loyal to a particular hen even when the bit on the side of a different breed of bird.

That hen sounds a right slapper :)

I've got 4 weaned linnet mules now, 3 about 8 days and 1possible goldie mule the same age. Waiting to candle 5 eggs to see if the goldies worked his magic on her and the linnet is back in with his favourite fife hen for the rest of the season and she will have layed her third egg in the morning.

Got a step forward today(not counting my chickens as they say :icon_redface: )i noticed my greenie hen off the nest a few times so one time i nipped in and saw at least 2 chicks,one dark and one light so a normal and lutino it seems and also saw my chaffie hen trying out a few different nest pans for size and a couple of irish chicks from a pair i have in my shed.Wonder if my luck has changed? :hmm: .