Gutted, dog has to go!

Well i never ever thought my dog would have done it but this morning he bit my wife!

He was at a plate on the coffe table that my son had been eating from so she sternly told him of put her hand out toward him to push him away and he just turned on her and bit her hand. If I had'nt seen it I would not of belived it, he has always been such a chilled out dog. The wife has got a few small bruises but more upset than anything else.

The bottom line is though I have a three year old son and as much as it kills me Im just not prepared to risk it happening to the little fella so the dog has to go!

He is 7/8 whippet 1/8 beddy, 3 years old. I use him for ferreting, he is a good marker and sound with the ferrets and until now has never caused me any bother, he lives in doors and is used to being with some one all the time. If anyone out there can give him a good home then please pm me. You can see him in my avatar!

I feel terrible for doing this he's been such a great little dog but I cant have a dog around my boy that I cant trust. Hopefully some one descent will be willing to take him on!

Thanks for reading,

John.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

why dont you get him in a kennel, most of these things dont happen when dogs are out side.? reason they have there own space, there own food bowls, toys etc ..... I would try that 1st , before passing

There's too many small minded Internet warriors on here with all the talk of put it to sleep, shoot it..! Fact is mate your mrs hasn't had enough involvement with the dog or it wouldn't think it was a

Well, sounds like a warning shot not a bite if only a few bruises. Had to put a dog down recently but he had a nervous aggression to strangers and it was the second time he had done something and that

I realy feel for you mate, but is passing a problem dog on realy the best thing ? How are you going to feel if it bites someone elses wife or kid ? I think you have to think long and hard about having the dog PTS. I don't envy you this. Best of luck with whatever you decide. :thumbs:

Cheers.

• Like 1

Sounds like the dog was being possesive over the plate of food he had decided was his and lashed out at a member of your family he had less respect for. Im not condoning it but could be a problem that could be fixed. I do mean by someone else mate you have to think of your kid of course. All the best, hope someone takes him on for you.

• Like 2

What you have to remember is how many times you have snapped at somebody if the dog would off had a pair of hands he may of give your wife a slap can you not put him/ her in a pen outside away from the children

Mark

Edited by mark@mbb
  • Like 1

Depends on the dog and situation of course but I don't think I would be getting shot of the dog. I would have the dog outside for a start and teach it where it belongs in your family at the same time. I know other family members can be a bit soft with dogs but the little f****r should of had the seven shades of shit knocked out of it immediately by your missus, absolutely no excuses for a dog snapping but it does happen if the dogs left thinking it's place is higher than it should. Also if I genuinely thought the dog to be a problem animal it would be shot and not passed on. JMO, obviously you have a kid to worry about but to me it sounds like the dog was just trying its luck as most do at some point.

• Like 2

mark if he did that and then one day heaven forbid it bit his little one he would feel alot worst than he does now we all have bad days but as hard as it would be i wouldnt pass the dog on in case it bit someone else and instead have it put to sleep what ever you choose polkey good luck

Well, sounds like a warning shot not a bite if only a few bruises. Had to put a dog down recently but he had a nervous aggression to strangers and it was the second time he had done something and that was enough. This sounds like a warning and can be fixed by establishing who is boss.

• Like 3

I agree it sounds like it's down to how your dog looks at the pecking order, you, him then the family, I think with a bit discipline and correction it can be overcame, I understand your predicament and perhaps the wife will be a little fearful, but I reckon it's worth working at mate, fo example different room whilst eating, don't put him in the position to need to snap, but at the end of the day the choice is yours atb.

• Like 1

why dont you get him in a kennel, most of these things dont happen when dogs are out side.? reason they have there own space, there own food bowls, toys etc ..... I would try that 1st , before passing him on or put down :yes:

• Like 9

just make sure the situation has'nt the chance to arise again

give the dog its own space a cage or basket or as bird said a kennel

it does'nt sound like a bad dog perhaps your wife lets it get away with things

totally understand your feelings especially with having a young un

but sounds like it can be fixed

Totally agree with bird I have a 3 year old boy I had also a beddy cross that bit him on the face when he was 2 not the dogs fault but mine ever sinse that I've penned my dogs in learnt my lesson there it only takes one bite it's game over I think he is acting very responsibily if he can't kennel it for any reason dog must go to to a male owner with no kids preferably with it's own space atb donk ps im gutted for you mate

why dont you get him in a kennel, most of these things dont happen when dogs are out side.? reason they have there own space, there own food bowls, toys etc ..... I would try that 1st , before passing him on or put down :yes:

I hear what your saying pal, mine are in the house but she has a crate which is hers even the pet staff isn't allowed in there.