I have the tikka t3 varmint blued barrel and i have to say i love it it will do half an inch groups all day long at 100m. Also you can get after market upgrades if you look around so i wouldn,t let that sway you out off the box i,d go with the tikka every time and i have used a vssf alot as a mate has one just my 2p worth

the thing i hate about tikka t3s is the shite plastic mags and floppy stocks, absolute feckin rubbish! if you do end up with one, i can recommend the laminated stock.

remington on the other hand remind me of ruger 10/22s, all that after market stuff needed to make a mediocre rifle shoot like a tack driver, ideally if money were no option i'd buy a shagged out remi for peanuts, then send it to border barrels and let them work their magic and have the full works done on it, trigger, bolt, barrel, and stock, topped off with some decent mounts and glass you'll have something worth keeping.

The thing with most info on rifles is that, as always, personal preference comes into the advice most folks give you. Also, the advice given by the 'experts' can be very much influenced by the current hot make or calibre.

Start from your intended target. Decide on a calibre, in this case .223, decide on a range of bullet weights suitable for your chosen target, then decide on a twist rate and acceptable barrel length. After this have a look at makes and models using your wallet to temper your lust. If you can, speak to those who have similar models and if possible get a shot or two. That more than anything else will tell you if a particular rifle meets up to your expectation.

Some years ago I bought a remmy 700 in .223 planning to get it souped up by a gunsmith. After firing a few test groups, I pulled the stock of it, cleaned a bit more space around the barrel, stiffened the stock with aluminium tube and marine epoxy, changed the trigger and now I have a rifle that will put five rounds into 1.5 to 2cm at 100m consistently if I do my bit. Another maker you may wish to consider is Howa, I think most would agree that the package being offered at the moment is pretty good.

the thing i hate about tikka t3s is the shite plastic mags and floppy stocks, absolute feckin rubbish! if you do end up with one, i can recommend the laminated stock.

remington on the other hand remind me of ruger 10/22s, all that after market stuff needed to make a mediocre rifle shoot like a tack driver, ideally if money were no option i'd buy a shagged out remi for peanuts, then send it to border barrels and let them work their magic and have the full works done on it, trigger, bolt, barrel, and stock, topped off with some decent mounts and glass you'll have something worth keeping.

Yep, my standard T3 Lite .223 with a shitty plastic stock and magazine and £44 or JSR Scope on top landed 8 V Bulls and 2 bulls with a cold barrel, new shooter (a member here) and test load at 600 yards.....they really are useless! (PS the shooter blamed himself for the 2 x Bulls saying he didn't pay proper attention to the flags)...funny old world sometimes! ATB! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Hi S/H

That use to be my set up for a good number of years, .270 & Swaro on top, before you were allowed Mod's

When i got the mod for it, what a difference it made, cut down the mule kick :whistling:

I change my set up just because i don't shoot Reds any more.

And another reason is because i reload my own ammo and save a lot of £££s from .270 down to .223.

Just shoot Roe's and Foxes now so the .223 does it for me.

But my opinion is you cannot have to much Rifle, it's all down to shot placement and i shot Reds/Roe's/Foxes all with the .270.

ATB

Wullie.

Hi SH, the .270 is not for everyone. Some love it some hate it. I think a lot depends on your own experience with firearms. If you have done a lot of shooting and have handled various calibres without problem you may be comfortable with the .270. If your experience is limited and you have not done anything with firearms that are a bit more 'barky' you may find that the .270 especially without a mod, may induce flinch. The best advice I can give is to see if you can get out and shoot twenty or thirty rounds with it. Also, have a go at grouping; not the three rounds that many use but five rounds. The group will open as the barrel warms but you will see your MPI and also group movement caused by your hold of the rifle.

Although I do not have a .270 I found it a reasonably mannered lady, however I am quite comfortable putting a hundred rounds of .338LM down range in a morning. Hope this helps.

Hi SH, the .270 is not for everyone. Some love it some hate it. I think a lot depends on your own experience with firearms. If you have done a lot of shooting and have handled various calibres without problem you may be comfortable with the .270. If your experience is limited and you have not done anything with firearms that are a bit more 'barky' you may find that the .270 especially without a mod, may induce flinch. The best advice I can give is to see if you can get out and shoot twenty or thirty rounds with it. Also, have a go at grouping; not the three rounds that many use but five rounds. The group will open as the barrel warms but you will see your MPI and also group movement caused by your hold of the rifle.

Although I do not have a .270 I found it a reasonably mannered lady, however I am quite comfortable putting a hundred rounds of .338LM down range in a morning. Hope this helps.

thanks very much for all the replys i will take every thing into consideration going to ponder on it and make a decsion in due course.i am not an experienced rifle man have shot rifles before just have a shot gun.all your info is greatly appreciated cheers.....slip :thumbs: