advice about lurchers

Hi, I am looking to get a lurcher but need a lot of advise about the cross etc that i will need. I intend to use it for rabbiting with ferrets and if possible occasional ratting. I have had offered a pup out of a beddlington/wippet X collie/wippet (sire ) x bull/wippet (Dam). Would this be a suitable cross for this purpose also what size would this cross expect to make as i am looking for a smallish type lurcher. As this is my first lurcher would this be a biddable type and trainable with my limited experiance of lurchers. And would you advise dog or bitch.

Please bare with me as i do have a lot of questions as i really want to get this right.

Thanks

alison391

(IAN)

For a first time lurcher that will be used for ferreting and ratting id go with something that would be easily trained and quick to learn,a Collie/Greyhound.It may not end up with the catch rate of a Whippet/Greyhound or 3/4 whippet bred dog,but as a first time dog would be easier to learn and learn from.I would,nt be to bothered about missing a few bunny,s that a quicker dog may snap up,the amount you catch should be outweighed by the enjoyment a good dog will give you.

Ian, for what you are looking for, the pup you have been offered would be just the ticket BUT do try to find out as much about the parents as poss and if you can, see them work before making a purchase.

As for dog or bitch, it's your call, it's gonna be your hunting partner, what do YOU prefer, what would you work with best?

• Like 4

Ian, for what you are looking for, the pup you have been offered would be just the ticket BUT do try to find out as much about the parents as poss and if you can, see them work before making a purchase.

As for dog or bitch, it's your call, it's gonna be your hunting partner, what do YOU prefer, what would you work with best?

good advice spot on :thumbs:

a bedlington whippet would be a good dog for what you will be doing , got one my self and two 3/4 whippet 1/4 bedlington these excel as ferreting dogs ,easy to train , a good turn of speed , from a standing start this breed takes some beating for speed so are good on the lamp , and would make good ratting dogs , ..........

• Like 2