rabbits vs hares

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should probably rethink your times ! 30 seconds is an awfully long time on a rabbit !! If a dog can't catch a rabbit in 30 seconds, it wont be catching many at all !! LOL !!   Cheers.

Don't know about being faster than hares but I don't think people give rabbits enough credit for how bloody fast they are over short runs, when they only have 20 or so meters til they reach safety the

Ask your self this how many rabbits would get caught with in the 1st 30secs by a lucher ,then how many hares would you catch with in the same time with the same dog and then you get your answer

In my experience of Hares unless they're really pressured they never get into top gear whereas a bunny is on his toes and flying straight off the bat.

A hare is faster than a rabbit its just hares have the gears and use them to there advantage. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Think u want to cut it down to about 3 seconds don't.think I've ever coursed a rabbit for 30 seconds either caught it or its down its hole by then saying that if I've caught rabbits in the first 5 or 6 yards if walked up don't think u can get that with a hare

rabbits are quik at getting up and off when a dogs on its tail. they can turn on a 5 pence piece when running full speed which gives the rabbit its persepction of being fast.. but put a hare on its run and watch it move across the field rabbits cant compare to that speed

hare for me is faster, although the intial burst from 0- to top speed id say the rabbit. for some reason i find hares get going and only really start flying when they realise they are in real danger, thats when the ears go down and really start motoring

• Like 1

In my experience of Hares unless they're really pressured they never get into top gear whereas a bunny is on his toes and flying straight off the bat.

A hare is faster than a rabbit its just hares have the gears and use them to there advantage. :thumbs:

Spot on, they never take off properly until they feel the dogs breath on their rear end, then they kick on. If you put one up at your feet that's been dozing and hasn't noticed you coming, you'll see just how fast they can hit top speed .

• Like 1

I think a hare is faster in any situation, thing is with hares they dont hit top gear until they have to. Seen them play with a slower dog, just doing enough. when a running dog starts to pressure the hare it is ears back and into a different gear. A man (sprinter) can do 300 metres in 30 seconds so a rabbit would do a lot more, i never get those situations where a rabbits runs that far.

Some hares are really stupid at night, I have pre ban seen hare took much easier than rabbits from the same farm.

If your dogs hitting them on the seat or getting right close over the first 10 - 15 yards the hares much easier to catch its a bigger target.. JMO

Mind if the hares are educated or given much longer slips they are much more of a challenge seen dogs stright lined from a hare never a rabbit.

imo a hare will run as fast as it needs to when being coursed, so seem like there going slow but they know what there doing,as where a rabbit will just try and head straight for home as fast as it can, although to the eye the rabbit looks quick which they are,the hare knows what its doing and runs to suit , two different animals