It's getting worse, 2hrs for 5 slips

Well I rehomed a lurcher to a mate a while back and apart from a bit ferreting and general mooching he has only been on the the lamp twice, so on our weekly mooch yesterday we decided a little walk local was needed to keep him interested,

Met at mine and headed to the first bit, I had been there the other week with lamp but no dog and had seen a fair few sitting out and not fazed by the lamp so i seemed a good place to start, got there, dogs out, lamp on! Nothing! Not one that was worth the slip. The pace was set for the night,

Onto next bit permission lamp on and bunny sat 30yrd away but only 10yrds from a small building, slipped the old bitch and she run it past the wee building out of view and out of the beam but the squeel let me know it hadn't got away. 1 in the bag.

Continued on this bit, saw a few but again not worth the run, although my mate slipped the young dog on one but it was never worth the slip. Left this bit with a 50% catch rate lol

Next wee bit at the back of a quarry only one field not ploughed, a quick shine revealed maybe 6-7 rabbits in bottom corner, as we approached all but two had made cover, I got cover side of one whilst my mate walked up on the other, I slipped my bitch and she pressured the rabbit away from cover then out of no where this fawn dog bombs passed strikes at the bunny and somersaulted in the ditch, and came away with my bitches rabbit!! Turns out he had lost his and joined in the chase with my bitch, Still a catch for the young dog never the less although he wasn't for giving it up and it's good for ferrets now

Heading home now with one field to try, we enter and split I Pick out a clamper and walk up on it, it runs but doesn't get far before the bitch picks it up. Head to my mate who is lamping something in the corner, but the young dog seems more interested in what was going on my way ad I get there just in time to see them bounding not cover,

So 2 hours 5 slips and 3 rabbits, getting a bit peeved off of scraping around for rabbits, gone are the days of local walks and double figures, but still good to get the young dog and old bitch out.

I know what you mean RM, same round by me. There,s feck all local, on land where i could get 20,s, you would be lucky to get a run now. So unless you travel and run the gauntlet, you have to put a lot of miles in and hit a few spots just to get sum runs. But at least your out mate and the dogs are doing what they should be and not stuck in a run, so good stuff mate. ATB :thumbs:

Aye it`s pish Ross

Went oot a month back and never ran a rabbit aw night, Had to keep the dogs interest though lol. but I can`t remember it being this dire for rabbits, I am having to travel to get them bud.

I don't mind traveling if I'm off or weekends, this was out early home early but if your traveling a fair bit and have work the next day it takes it out of you, I mean wtf has happened to them all?

Highlight of my night though was I told my mate to shine the lamp out the window have a look in a field, now he's fairly new to lamping..... Next thing the whole van lights up and he mutters "nah I cannae see f**k all" " open the window ye daft c**t" was my reply.......

• Like 8

At least you got out Ross, I've a local spot that was always good for some runs to keep the dogs sharp but its been decimated by disease and the gun lads. :thumbs:

Rabbits seem very scarce in some areas but the "pre ban" gear seems to be flourishing.

Tell me about the roe round by me is getting ridiculous,

Highlight of my night though was I told my mate to shine the lamp out the window have a look in a field, now he's fairly new to lamping..... Next thing the whole van lights up and he mutters "nah I cannae see f**k all" " open the window ye daft c**t" was my reply.......

:laugh: very good , almost spat my lunch up reading that :laugh:

:laugh: very good , almost spat my lunch up reading that :laugh:

Aye if we had been out all night not got a single run, that comment would've been worth the diesel alone! Knows abit about ferreting, hopefully I can show him enough to teach him about lamping.

ross i was out on thurs night , for over an hour , seen nowt, it's getting tough , finding anything here, too many lurchers in the town now , lol

Aye mate and they're all alaunts or alaunt x's!!

Noticed that last time I was doon, all the young lads have them,