zeroing a 223

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Barrels shot out by now!

1" high at 100yards :laugh:   What the ***k.   So, anyone tell me where your zero is, you know jack about where the bullet goes except it is 1" high at 100 yards!   If you want to shoot foxes a

i remember setting up my swede when i got it, after zeroing dead on at 150ish yds, (end of the field) i set some boards out ranging from 30yds out just to see where the bullet impacted at different ra

Posted Images

Sorry if this is covered as don't have time to read the whole thread but I think the point Deker was trying to make on page 1 is a rifle has 2 zeros, as the bullet crosses the line of sight twice, once on the way up and the other on the way down.

Whilst there's nothing wrong with shooting 1 inch over, many people hold over / under for speed or because they haven't learnt the "correct" way, to shoot accurately, you should be using the BDC turrets. That's what they're there for. Not always possible if the target is moving on quickly, but then good range estimation or a quick range + hold over. As for I've zero'ed at 100yds but there's a 4 inch drop at 200. Have to question if the 100yd zero isn't the 2nd zero and not the 1st.

Also, this isn't a laser weapon. Bullets don't fly flat so off the zeros you will need to compensate either by BDC marks in the scope, estimation or turrets for accuracy.

Don't have more than 1 variable at a time. You're using handloads but are new to handloading so don't know if the problem lies with the loads or the zero. My advice here would be buy some factory ammuntion. Get a good zero at the distances you require, then hand load and you can fine tune if necessary. That way you have a starting point that's solid. If it all goes to sh*t, you can always goes back to your referenced zero (write it down) and reshoot the factory ammo to confirm you still have a zero for that and then start again with the handloads. Inconsitent handloads will wreck your accuracy.