Advice on catapult accuracy

back on thread lol. try using the catty at around the 2 o clock possition or 10 o clock depending whether you shoot left or right handed rather than fully horizontal. also try holding the forks dont bother putting your thumb in that groove you will shoot it off. and also with double bands you wont be able to hold it steady enough. try using lighter band sets, at least until you are used to shooting, i use 1 layer of theraband silver cut at 25cm and tapered 2.5cm to 1.5cm. and a light weight pouch. these bands are perfect for shooting 9.5mm steel balls and i have shot squirrels with these but like has been said before the dog usually has to finish them off. they will shoot 11mm lead accurately but only close range. i have used double bands but they end up giving me tennis elbow. and accuracy isnt as good. light ammo will shoot accurately but you need to use very light bands and they arent suitable for hunting. i wouldnt use marbles either they shoot all over the place, hope this helps. good luck.

• Like 1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi mate ! , there,s lots of tips and advice on youtube regarding cattys, also some good cat users on here, who I am sure will be long soon to advise, hope this helps atb Steve.

Thanks Steve, Gaffer and Mick: those comments are already making a lot of sense. Will have another try later today and see if it's improved. Also, forgot to mention in the first post that I'm using ma

Here ya go buddy this will help with fitting bands   Atb rob

Hahahahaha!!!!! Riding the back pedalling bicycle are we??? You made the challenge. You said you'd send me and my Lurcher home with our tails between our legs! I know what size 5mm is, I also know what the difference in weight between 5mm and 9mm is. It's enough difference to matter. You were saying that 5mm is more accurate and it'd be doing around 12 ft lbs with double TBG. Now prove it, let's have a hunt you with 5mm and me with .38 conicals. Remember, you stand your ground!!! Lol!!!

,you practice every day nd have done for 25 years, :laugh: :laugh: ,,you have more money than me nd live in a better area :bad: ,but when i offered to take you on at anything your flapping lips can think of, :whistling: ,you wanted half way fule,your dog was too young,(i have made no excuses),you say i have to use 5mm to beat you i ve said ok,,you also say i must do my research then i will fear you, :laugh: :laugh: :tongue2: ,,,yes i somtimes dont even read what you write,,,why because anyone that has to brag about using a catty everyday for 25 years is rather boring :yes: :yes: ,5mm steel is easy to get off ebay cheep nd lighter to carry more giving the shooter more shots more shots means more practice,+ if the gap of his forks are small nd they are! then would it not make sense to shoot smaller to reduce the chance of forlk strikes??for someone who has just started shooting cattys??you are a slippery one twisting words like a mp,,, :bye: byby boy

Hahahahaha!!!!! Riding the back pedalling bicycle are we??? You made the challenge. You said you'd send me and my Lurcher home with our tails between our legs! I know what size 5mm is, I also know what the difference in weight between 5mm and 9mm is. It's enough difference to matter. You were saying that 5mm is more accurate and it'd be doing around 12 ft lbs with double TBG. Now prove it, let's have a hunt you with 5mm and me with .38 conicals. Remember, you stand your ground!!! Lol!!!

,you practice every day nd have done for 25 years, :laugh: :laugh: ,,you have more money than me nd live in a better area :bad: ,but when i offered to take you on at anything your flapping lips can think of, :whistling: ,you wanted half way fule,your dog was too young,(i have made no excuses),you say i have to use 5mm to beat you i ve said ok,,you also say i must do my research then i will fear you, :laugh: :laugh: :tongue2: ,,,yes i somtimes dont even read what you write,,,why because anyone that has to brag about using a catty everyday for 25 years is rather boring :yes: :yes: ,5mm steel is easy to get off ebay cheep nd lighter to carry more giving the shooter more shots more shots means more practice,+ if the gap of his forks are small nd they are! then would it not make sense to shoot smaller to reduce the chance of forlk strikes??for someone who has just started shooting cattys??you are a slippery one twisting words like a mp,,, :bye: byby boy

Listen dopey, just answer the questions I've asked. Stop talking. Put up or shut up! I probably have got more money than you and do live in a nice area, but I grew up on a South London council estate and worked hard for everything i've got. I made sure I learnt to read and write to a high standard and that's opened doors for me. I'm also a lot cleverer than you.

I never asked for half the fuel, I asked you to meet me halfway. Should I pay for everything? Are you a ponce? I even agreed to meet you when I'm in Sheffield in a few weeks, but you've not replied. You've never agreed to even meet me, let alone what ammo you'll use. Where does this "fear" thing come from? When have I threatened you or suggested violence? You started it and I called you paranoid. Read back through the thread! I've asked you numerous questions and you've answered none. You seem to say a lot with no actual point or content. I never said anything about your lurcher, to be honest, I didn't know you had one. I wouldn't run my puppy against anyones, let alone yours. Do you think that an 11 month old deerhound x greyhound should be doing much? This isn't another area where you're an expert but think differently to everyone else, is it?

It's obvious that you can't read properly because you keep getting everything back to front and out of context. You can't even spell Mickey properly!!

Once again poor shooting form results in fork strikes not because the ammo is too big. How do most Milbro type shooters get away with using .44 lead?

Now read this properly and answer WHEN AND WHERE DO YOU WANT TO MEET? SHALL I FIND SOMEWHERE HALFWAY BETWEEN US OR DO YOU WANT ME TO TREAT YOU? WHAT TYPE OF CATTY COMP DO YOU WANT? HOW MUCH MONEY ARE WE HAVING ON IT? I RECKON £200, TO MAKE IT INTERESTING. STAND YOUR GROUND SON!! ANSWER THE QUESTIONS!! SEE HOW MY LIPS ARE FLAPPING NOW?

Couldn't be arsed to read all the whining crap above, so don't know if they actually answered your question or not? so heres me two pence....

Just my opinion but if your getting fork strike then either the bands aren't the same length, or more likely your twisting your grip/wrist on the catty as you pull the elastic back to your lug hole!

I don't know you, so maybe you've got big hands and are struggling to hold such a small catty, or your wrist isn't strong enough to hold it straight on full extension of the elastic???

Set up a box with a small circle drawn on it in the garden and slam some marbles into it as quick as you can from nice and close. The circles not for you to aim at, just to give your eyes something to look at whilst you fire.

Don't worry about aiming, you don't aim a catty like you do a rifle, there is not magic spot to use as a sight.

Just make sure the ammo's in the centre of the pouch, point and shoot nice and fast. Also stop trying to draw the elastic as far as you can for every shot (we all did it to start with!!)

Don't aim just pull it tight and let go. Simples.

If every shot is hitting home then collect your ammo, take a step or two further back and have another go. If not then step closer.

Once your firing fairly acurately, you can start getting some power into your shots.

I leave a box in the corner of the garden and the catty by the back door and everytime I go for a fag, I fire 10 ball bearings off. Only takes a minute or two, every few hours, you'll be surprised how quickly you'll come on.

atb.

• Like 1

After trawling through the amazing catapult thread I decided to get a catapult for the first time in about twenty years. As a result I recently bought an old-fashioned milbro with theraband gold bands. After a bit of target practice I'm coming up with one main issue so thought I'd ask some advice in the hope of rectifying any errors sooner rather than later.

My main issue is occasional fork strike ( I think that's the right phrase: basically a few dents on the left hand fork around the binding and just below). I'm finding that my general accuracy is far greater, as is the power, when I hold the catapult horizontally as opposed to vertically and I'm wondering if this is adding to the problem ie is it because the vertical plane between the two forks isn't being held at 90 degrees with the ground (does that make sense) and hence narrowing the space between the forks. I don't think I'm getting any strike when I fire holding vertically but, as mentioned above, my accuracy and power are far inferior.

Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks in advance.

dont know if you tryed just one band ,,but it is easy to pull back with one band,, you wont lose too much power nd it could be the strain of trying to pull too far back with bands two on each side thats causing you to twist your catty on release,, or not relese straight banded,,ffs dont try 5mm steel to practice with off ebay cos they are cheep nd if you do dont tell anyone... keep smiling have fun,, these are only suggestions on how to practice ...

Thanks again. Currently has single bands, that was how it came to me. Not had a chance to take it out this weekend as we've been too busy getting a "big boys' bed" for my son. Currently not working on Friday so, unless I get a call to go in, I can try it then.

As for the photos...I have enough trouble typing in a straight line! :D:icon_redface:

• Like 1