Legal to own cpc that has potential over 12psi?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Illiteracy!

As long as you are aware, that using a section 1 airgun without an FAC is worth 5 years.

the rapid was made in fac aswell as 12ft lbs, ive got one on fac, the cut out in the stock at the rear of the bolt was done at the manufacturing stage, most pcp`s can be tampered with. but as long as

Cracking information on getting your FAC here http://www.thehuntin...ms-certificate/

Seems that FAC for air is easier to get then for fire arms.

trouble is dont you have to have police approved permissions to use a fac on? most of mine are smallish permissions not suitable.(sorry if some one has all ready said this i aint read the whole thread)

Just had my S410 tested by my local police. Mine has had the original grub screw changed for one that would make it possible for me to up the power if I want it. If I did that I would have to add it to my FAC by way of variation.

They tested it and it was below 12ftlbs, I am collecting it this week. I was told that the fact it can be altered matters not at all...as most air rifles can be altered whether easily or with a bit of effort. The offence is committed if when they test it it is over the 12ftlbs mark.

You are not in posession of an FAC air rifle if it is under 12ftlbs but could be easily powered up....and you do not need it on your FAC.

atb

Just had my S410 tested by my local police. Mine has had the original grub screw changed for one that would make it possible for me to up the power if I want it. If I did that I would have to add it to my FAC by way of variation.

They tested it and it was below 12ftlbs, I am collecting it this week. I was told that the fact it can be altered matters not at all...as most air rifles can be altered whether easily or with a bit of effort. The offence is committed if when they test it it is over the 12ftlbs mark.

You are not in posession of an FAC air rifle if it is under 12ftlbs but could be easily powered up....and you do not need it on your FAC.

atb

Thanks Toka that is very helpfull and especially as it is first hand experience of having your air gun tested and given the all clear despite it's potential of over the 12lbs.

atb

atb

Trouble is that is one region of one force, it can vary between officers, let alone between forces. Interpretation of the law can be a very personal and subjective manner. That said, if you play by the rules, do not act like Rambo on the golf course and generally try to keep in their good books by telling them when and where you are going shooting they tend to leave you alone!

• Like 1

Regardless of what power a rifle can put out the issue is simple. If the anti Tamper pins are intact then the rifle is sub 12ftlbs you have no problems. However if the anti tamper pins have been removed or indeed tampered with other than the condition they were in when they left the factory then you are in possession of a Section 1 firearm, even if the power is sub 12ftlbs when taken for testing. The anti tamper pins/screws need to be intact for the gun to remain legal!

I am not arguing with you, but can you please quote the relevant regulations to support this assertion?

Regardless of what power a rifle can put out the issue is simple. If the anti Tamper pins are intact then the rifle is sub 12ftlbs you have no problems. However if the anti tamper pins have been removed or indeed tampered with other than the condition they were in when they left the factory then you are in possession of a Section 1 firearm, even if the power is sub 12ftlbs when taken for testing. The anti tamper pins/screws need to be intact for the gun to remain legal!

I am not arguing with you, but can you please quote the relevant regulations to support this assertion?

Working part time selling Air rifles at a country sports shop for the past 4 years, we took in a second hand Logun S16 as a part exchange. it was sold on to a lad who was arrested with the rifle for shooting in a built up area. The gun was tested and was under 12ftlbs but the anti tamper pins/screws had been tampered with, We had to go to court to testify that the gun was intact when we sold it as he tried to blame the shop. He was fined and the gun was destroyed. I can't quote any legislation but its fair to say that different forces will probably have different ideas, which seems to be the case with most things relating to firearms. The shop was informed to ensure they checked every gun that came in and if any had been interfered with we could not touch them because regardless of power output they would be classed as section 1. Whether this is right or not I don't know but just what we were told by the police.

Edited by Simonrees

lets clear this up as you are being told different things , if you are not sure call your feo but i had been know to play around with a few pcp's and have taken advice on using these out in the field from both sides of the fence.

if the gun can be easily turned up like it can with mk1 rapid you run the risk of being nicked , but bear in mind the police can only chrony the gun with the power it was found with and the pellets that you was using (so be careful with bisley magnums) but you will probably shit yourself when they take it away worrying if you have a pissed off policeman who wants a conviction and some how the gun got turned up in there custody ' by accident of cause' lol

putting a blanking plate over the adjuster 'should' be enough to keep them happy but each county is different and has a different opinion.

keeping an unregistered section 1 firearm will land you 6 years but please show me a case of an air rifle user using a over the limit gun by mistake as i have not seen one yet.

is it worth the risk ? i say yes go for it aslong as you put some sort of blank over the back and does not come off easily and you might get it cheap cheap .

Give your local firearms a call and ask them they wont bite , just dont go grassing on your mate by mistake as he may of been told something different from him FEO (if he is from a different county)

i was told of a chap who was using 60ft lb in the field and it could not be turned down , the police turned up and he took a nasty tumble into a brook while meeting them and the gun hit a tree and damaged the barrell so badly that the police could not test it. expensive but lucky man hey ( if the story is true that is)

you want to go over the limit get a fac licence is the easier way of not looking over your shoulder each time your out.

• Like 1

If going for your FAC isn't it more restrictive as to where you can shoot? From what i have read you don't get an open licence untill you have had it for some time or when you apply for renewal after 5 yrs. Or is it different with an air rifle on a FAC?

not strictly true , my friend applied for his FAC and yes it only showed one piece of land , another farmer had a fox problem and my friend called his FEO and asked for the restriction to be removed , they said no but they put the land down as a temp pass and also stated they will do the same for any other land he wants to shoot on aslong it has been passed for that calibre.

to be fair your not making great gains by using an FAC air rifle and in my eyes is only good for one thing which isnt legal.

call your FEO , you will be surprised ;)