Little update on Lena, Airedale lurcher

Lena has made a lovely ferreting dog: patient, accurate marking, snatching at holes etc. But she is soft and gentle, very soft mouthed, and would probably not be any good for things that bite back, though she'll work cover for them and hunt all day. Her nose is spot on, just like her dam's, but you can see she is more Saluki in her brain than Airedale. Her sister is the total opposite: very hard in every way, and very driven, though still soft mouthed enough to retrieve rabbits live to hand: the first few do get a little squashed, but once she's into her stride she's fine.

Been a while since I posted on here about them. What can I say? They're coming on very well. Lena is the one that has really taken to ferreting, marking well, very steady and nice to have around. She's been pretty good at working out where the rabbit will bolt too, though she hasn't got what you'd call a lot of early pace, but she and her sister did come in season in the autumn, and turned into flabby lumps, and at only 18 months. Bloody nuisance as they're obviously going to be six monthly bitches, which I could have done without. Their next seasons should fall just right in the summer, with any luck.

Can't really fault the bitch: good nose, nice temperament, sensible round nets: a few pics:

post-5156-0-42075100-1329319667.jpg

post-5156-0-16101000-1329319700.jpg

been watching this dogs progress all the time (via the countrymans weekly) turns out an accidental mating was a good one aye penny?

She is a very nice bitch, but its her sister that is the real belter: couldn't ask for more drive or want in a dog, but she's still dead biddable and almost everything I could want in a lurcher: I say 'almost' because there is a tiny bit of speed lacking: she has to be going at her fastest to achieve what she wants to do, rather than running with cruise control LOL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...