Back out of sick bay

After what seems like an eternity I had the big lad out for an hour or so tonight.

He hit a tree Christmas time and got a good check over when we got home but there was no sign of injury or puncture wounds.

A small swelling was visible a day or so later but I didn't pay it much mind, just thought I would give him some kennel rest.

A week past and the swelling was getting slowly bigger so thinking the worst I had him to the vet to have it tested praying it wasn't a tumor.....200 sovs and a week later I was a happy chap to discover it was not a tumor just inflammatory fluid.

I knew now despite checking him that there must be something in there and it really started to get big.

Still giving him complete kennel rest and 3 weeks in the centre of the swelling became softer and had some heat about it so I knew it would not be long until it was ready to lance, my wife rang me to let me know that it had burst so I made my way home to get the big lad cleaned up and sorted.

I could get my whole finger inside the hole it left so in it went and made sure I had a good rub round to get rid of any necrotic flesh, flushed the wound right out with a mild antiseptic solution and applied intransite gel.

I left him off the anti-biotics as he heals better and quicker without them, another couple of weeks in the healing and tonight he pretty much dragged me out the door.

As expected he was way off the pace but busting to run everything he saw, he lifted one in an acrobatic catch but it was more about getting him back on the road to fitness than catching......just as well really! Lol lol

Glad to have my dog back and hopefully I can show him a few bits and bats before the end of the season.

Atb

• Like 5

Glad till hear wilf the big lad is doing well,my own dog hit a bank out ferreting l noticed when he got back abit of swelling under his belly he just drop as if he was wind did,carried him back till the motor got him home give him a anti lnflammtory tablet,the next day l check him he was badly bruise and sore,a couple of days went by he was going of his food and spewin took him till the vets and lnformed them what happen,they jab him and said lf he wasnt any better the next day take him back which l did got blood test done,came back that his kidneys was failing dew till the anti lnflammtory tablet l give him,my stomach just churned and l felt like throwing up,l asked the useril questions but till no avail,jab him again and said if he aint better by monday consider getting him p.t.s.which ln the end l had till do,due till my mistake giving him anti lnflammtory,a.t.b stevie. :bad:

Good to hear your dogs back in action Wilf, give him all he can handle for the rest of the season. The bangs & knocks can be far worse than the cuts and tears. :thumbs:

Stevie, a similar thing happened with a young bitch I had, what was just a simple bang and tear, went far worse and I lost her, I belive, through the drugs perscribed, something reacted and she shut down.

good news that wilf,,, its a bugger when dogs get injured especialy in the middle of the season,,, but at least hes on the mend.

what a sad story that is stevie,, knowing you have droped a bollock is a heavy burden to carry round,,, especialy when you thought you were doing it for the right reasons

Sorry to read that Stevie, as Tomo rightly says especially when you thought you were doing right as anyone would.....sometimes with dogs, if you didn't have bad luck then you wouldn't have any.

I probably didn't need to give the big lad as long a lay off, but he is only just 18 months so he will have plenty of seasons in front of him so I figured why rush things?

Normally for stoppers or cuts, grazes, knocks I don't worry too much just keep working but I did for one minute think this could be a tumor.

When I cleaned it out, I took about a 1/4 inch bit of conifer out of it even though as I say there were no obvious puncture wounds.....it was a nasty infection and I am sure it did his system no harm to have plenty of rest.

Thanks for the nice comments boys

Good read wilf good to hear fellow dogmen looking after there dogs correctly, Steve that a right sad tale..

Taking my bitch for a few tonight, This dogs been the bain of my life. Its been off since Oct had a toe off. Its looking a picture of health its been trotting beside the bike, living in the house and eating the best of beef.

Prior to that the dogs had colitus and a broken jaw. fingers crossed it makes it home tonight lol. Its Very keen and runs reckless its going on a five miler soon to hopefully take the edge of that..

The vets on speed dial...

Reading the story on Wilfs dog then Steve's and also Giro's it just goes to show how tough this game can be on both dogs and their owners? I think you done the right thing Wilf by waiting until now? Why chance ruining such a young dog by starting him back any earlier? Fair play also to Giro for doing the same,I know sometimes it's hard not to take them out but a sign of a good dogman is knowing when NOT to run them as much as when to run them especially when coming back from injury! Good luck lads..fingers crossed for an injury free run in from here on in.ATB Andy

• Like 3

Injuries certainly put a dampener on things. I had my bitch Molly out tonight on the lamp for the first time in 6 weeks as she had a bad cut just below the hock out lamping one night after xmas. After 4 weeks on the easy list then some trips out with the ferrets it was time to give her a spin. She ran pretty well putting 12 in the bag but at the end of the session she had another cut, this time on the back of her front leg inside the dew claw.

Looks like it's back on the easy list for a few weeks.

Reading the story on Wilfs dog then Steve's and also Giro's it just goes to show how tough this game can be on both dogs and their owners?

Rude boys season finished 3wks ago, collapsed lungs, severe cellulitis, was in the vets for 11 days, lost him once on the table. He's not even nearly right yet. Still nothing compared to some of the dogs above, bless you Steve. horrible thing to happen.

I've had a couple of dogs get abscesses, for want of a better word: both times back of the ribs on the flank. Apparently that place is the path of least resistance if the dog is trying to expel a foreign body, not that the vet ever found anything. According to vet most things accumulate there, even just dodgy fluid. First time tissue was cut out, drains in etc. The lump came right back: had to burst and drain naturally. Second time I poulticed the dog, let it burst: very yucky and painful procedure, vile smelling liquid, and drain naturally after cleaning out: healed fine.

Hope your dog continues to improve Wilf.

Great news Wilfred. I'm pleased for you and the dog mate.

As you know I had dramas with my old girl a few years back, but she recovered and put a shift in, but age and her injuries caught up with her eventually and she spends her days stealing my tomatoes and dreaming of eating my quail

post-32-0-46697700-1329384735.jpg

post-32-0-65218600-1329384767_thumb.jpg

post-32-0-56391400-1329384839.jpg

That sounds pretty grim WILF, hitting trees worries the hell out of me, but cant be avoided sometimes. One time many years a go, I had dog chasing a roe through a thin windbreak of trees the dog struck at speed which caused the roe to slam side on into a tree, The Roe was near enough dead from the impact when I got there and the dog looking confussed, he was lucky that day! just goes to show how it can all go wrong so quickly. Are dogs need pleanty of luck in their lives.

Would be nice to see a pic of your hound.

Regards Sirius

Edited by Sirius

Ive had my fair share of fooked dog's over the year's Wilf and you just can't rush the recovery..slow and easy is the way forward imo..good luck in the future with him and i found the injuries tend to ease off once they mature and level out a bit..