Hi everyone I'm new here and just wondering if I could ask some advice please. I have a 1 year old whippet who I would like to calm down and start to take out for rabbits. At the moment she is very lively but when she is out she likes to have a good run and be very nosy. Does anyone have any advise on the best way to calm her and begin to train her? It would be very much apprichated.

Thank you

hi there

the best way to calm her down is to let her release her energy by running around if you think its not controlled enough then try on a bike with dog on a lead.

If you want some good advise on training then i would suggest a dvd by dave sleight Purdys Progress im sure some lads on here will have it there are two in the collection not sure what the other is called now

good luck

matt

If it was me id take the dog out for hours at a time on a regular basis......the trouble with taking a young dog out for a quick hours exercise is they are so excitetable you really cant get a lot done through the dog not concentrating........most dogs will calm down after a while and its then that you get the dogs full attention and have him " in the zone " so to speak..................i wouldnt try to do too much with an exciteable dog you,ll just frustrate yourself.

Hi everyone I'm new here and just wondering if I could ask some advice please. I have a 1 year old whippet who I would like to calm down and start to take out for rabbits. At the moment she is very lively but when she is out she likes to have a good run and be very nosy. Does anyone have any advise on the best way to calm her and begin to train her? It would be very much apprichated.

Thank you

Dont play with the pup in the house ignore her as much as you can, outside play inside peace,

a pup gets stimulated through learnt behavior to associate certain locations with certain mindsets and i would think thats what the problem is here, at her age if she flipping out in or around the home that her prey drive is seeping out in all sorts of lunatic behavior,

with no clear channel to express drive which in clearly in every working whippet line she will be forced to express drive energy in her own and your envoirement,

if you cant get her out doing with whippets do best, get her out chasing a ball or tugging a toy, it will use up drive energy and spare your home, walking her will only get you so far(excuse the pun) but it doesn't scratch the surface of using drive energy, get her in drive,

Another thing is and it wont happen over night, but use a phrase for taking her out, use it every time that way she will wait to hear a phrase instead to trying to read you body language for when you taking her out

, if she's just trying to read your actions, she will follow you around constantly which is a pain in the ass,

best of luck with her

Dont mean to go against someones advice mate, but dont play tug of war with your dog it just makes them hard mouthed and they will rag everything they catch and whippets if you get one like one of mine is like a little terrier, but some good advice there!!! Start off with simple obedience and dont rush each aspect of it take your time to get it right first before you move on. Good luck :bye:

Dont mean to go against someones advice mate, but dont play tug of war with your dog it just makes them hard mouthed and they will rag everything they catch and whippets if you get one like one of mine is like a little terrier, but some good advice there!!! Start off with simple obedience and dont rush each aspect of it take your time to get it right first before you move on. Good luck :bye:

bud, if the dog is on the same wavelength as you, it knows play is play and work is different, there is a bite in every dog waiting to get out, the dog can discriminate with enough work what needs biting hard and what doesn't, i've not had a dog yet who would destroy a rabbit like it would a fox, i like to show them what to bite hard ,

its like a fighter wont know how to spar easy til he knows how to hit the heavy bag,

but if your afraid it will, by all means do what you you feel works for you,

Hiya just wanted to say thank u for all your advise it's very much apprichated.. I've got another question though if you don't mind please.. While out yesterday with her I noticed that one of her eyes are weeping and this morning it's been really bloodshot and weepy and she doesn't seem herself at all very quiet can anyone recommend anything to make her better? Someone recommended bathing it with milk ? But I would rather ask for advise first than get it wrong and risk making it worse cuz she can't tell me what's up lol

TIA

Hiya just wanted to say thank u for all your advise it's very much apprichated.. I've got another question though if you don't mind please.. While out yesterday with her I noticed that one of her eyes are weeping and this morning it's been really bloodshot and weepy and she doesn't seem herself at all very quiet can anyone recommend anything to make her better? Someone recommended bathing it with milk ? But I would rather ask for advise first than get it wrong and risk making it worse cuz she can't tell me what's up lol

TIA

Try your vets mate

:victory: