work in progress . pattern welded steel for knives

iv done a work in progress sequence of pics for you with wright up so you can 1 see what i do and 2 see how much work it is !!

its gonna kane your down load limet tho

ok staret with 20 layers of steel 15n20 and cs60 10 layers of each .grind them clean as possible with grind lines paralel (you see why later)

DSCF1179.jpg

arc weld them to a handle and grind flush.

DSCF1180.jpg

DSCF1181.jpg

light the forge and let it build up to welding heat

DSCF1183.jpg

DSCF1184.jpg

getting there so add the billet and raise to cherry

DSCF1186.jpg

DSCF1187.jpg

once at a full cherry add boric acid as flux and let it melt in this where the parralel lines come in the flux will use these to move into the billet and help the welds .

DSCF1188.jpg

DSCF1189.jpg

DSCF1190.jpg

back in the heat and bring to welding heat .

DSCF1191.jpg

thats very hot by the way a light orange lemmon colour

DSCF1192.jpg

thats tasty so run a gentle course of blows with a 2lbs hammer to set the weld

DSCF1194.jpg

in theaory that now 20 into 1 but repeat the welding course 3 times to make sure .

DSCF1195.jpg

yep all 20 became one !!

Edited by midnight

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

are you enjoying this ?   ok let cut two billets enough for knives a peice . im doing one as straigh feather the other im going to try something very new for me . its is the straight feather with

Matt, you are a skilled man indeed. Within this lifetime I will have one off you, until then please keep posting this most interesting topic.

well there done to a point i want to stop ! everyone who has seen them here at home says there good , tell me what you think . sorry iv missed out loads of the knife making stage but got loads on an

ok thats cooled abit . grind the end to look for welding flaws like scale inclusions cold shuts etc .

DSCF1196.jpg

looks good cut in half and stack . weld togeather with handle . remember i will need to cut lumps off this that hold nasty things like the arc welds etc so its not square because im gonna have to cut it .

DSCF1198.jpg

back in the heat for welding course

DSCF1199.jpg

its borax time again

DSCF1201.jpg

DSCF1200.jpg hot int it !

very carfuly rund the welding course . gotta keep it square and set it with out mis shaping

DSCF1203.jpg

here is where it get exciting . we split it at welding temp with a cold chisel . you will see why soon, my very small and femanine mrs has the crappy job of holding this still as i hit it fast and accuratly . it not easy loads can go wrong but we are a good team . and all goes to plan .

DSCF1204.jpg

like a light bulb, but as hot as the sun !

DSCF1205.jpg

DSCF1207.jpg

cooled and handle removed they are now 2x 40 layer slabs . thats enough for today .

DSCF1209.jpg

inside of the cut , you might see patterns ?

DSCF1211.jpg

i fluffed up and forgot to take pics of this bit but i welded it all back togeather with a bright 15n20 layer sandwiched with a high carbon (dark) layer of 01 either side and welded that all in the forge back as one peice .

DSCF1212.jpg

DSCF1214.jpg you might be able to see it ?

DSCF1214.jpg

ground so i can see it . had a quick etch in sulphuric acid to expose the grain / patter , at this stage its a feather pattern of my own design , looks nice ?

DSCF1217.jpg

back in the heat to square it up all the nasty stuff has been cut off . in the bin all that lovely steel used up and lobbed !

DSCF1218.jpg

cooling for cutting

DSCF1220.jpg

are you enjoying this ?

ok let cut two billets enough for knives a peice .

DSCF1221.jpg

im doing one as straigh feather the other im going to try something very new for me . its is the straight feather with the bits removed that will form the tang .

DSCF1222.jpg

in and out the forge til i have the blank ready for shaping and grinding

DSCF1223.jpg

DSCF1224.jpg

lets do the other while that cools

cut out wedges to make a consateena , waistful int it . but worth it we hope . this bit will make sence soon .

DSCF1225.jpg

in and out of the forge she goes until i have hammered flat all the high points of the consateena so it have now become one straigh longer but thinner peice . i missed this cos i was alone and wanted it done right so could not photo it and do it at the same time .

forged to shape and rough ground .

a scrap ws there so i hammered it to asmall neck knife that will remain pure steel no handles , so i got 3 peices . all went in the acis and came out looking like this .

DSCF1226.jpg

DSCF1229.jpg

thats it for now . they all where "normalised" which is in a nut shell taking all the stress out of the metal so it wont tear apart on heat treating and stop warping . you have to het to critical (non magnetic) and then alow to cool to ambiant (room temp) you do it 3 times to a littel coller each time .

they have all beed ground much closer to finnished now and had a proper soak in the acid . im going to gun blue them next . so there is a huge dark/ligh contrast (i hope) with the bright shiney 15n20 and the dark pitted cs6o with the cs60 taking the gun blue and the 15n20 bright white .

you will have to wait for me tho got alot on so when i get chance i will carry on .

paulus has first refusal on what ever comes from this . so form a nice que .

only pulling your ploncker im sure they will sell fast enough .

plan is to have walnut handles and leather sheath.

• Like 5

thank you ladies and gentleman .

just had a play with the gun blue . new skill for me !

did anyone notice everything is hand made ? the forge the anvil even most the hand tools are what i have repaied or modified . no expence spaied with me ha ha , but in all honesty iv never taklen a penny out of this for myself it all goes back in to the next project , materials or equpment .

needs to pay soon :cray:

Edited by midnight

thanks again , if you liked that wait til yopu see the flemish winged spear head im making for a fella from wisbeach who hunts boar all over the world . has to be finnished before the end of feb cos its going straight into action !

iv failed 4 times to make it so far !!