brother to sister breeding

I dont see the point breeding full brother to sister, unless a accident happens.

You got 100s dogs to choose a stud that suits you. so whats point risking the breeding and inbreeding so close?

If youve only a small gene pool,or you want to fix the best points of closely related stock,inbreeding is a valuable part of sustaining a good bloodline,only when you carry on inbreeding without the use of an outcross,do genetic problems surface.

I aint no expert mate. but surley if your breeding full brother to sister in lurcher or running dogs, not terriers or fighting dogs.

There going be a fault in either the dog or the bitch if you breed the brother to sister. then surley your going be twice as much likely to have the fault magnifed more in the pups.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it never did joball any harm his mum and dad are still solid.

Wouldn't do it with pigeons mate, they end up coo coo.

NICE TO HEAR THAT EVERY THING TURNED OUT RIGHT ROXY WITH THE BREEDING ,ITS JUST THAT SOME PEOPLE FROWN UPON IT BUT THE WAY I LOOK AT IT IS IF U CAN KEEP THE BLOOD STRONG WITH THE 2 BEST DOGS OV THE SA

I've always found that people who condemn inbreeding and have a ready supply of horror stories and reasons why not to, have never in fact inbred. Humans aside, (well maybe not) inbreeding this closely and tighter from resulting off spring does occur in the wild, no species would exist if not for inbreeding it's that simple. I have and know many people who have bred this way and whilst it might not have improved stock it certainly had no ill effects. I would say throwing two unrelated dogs (or whatever) together just because they are unrelated has as much chance of throwing undesirable traits as inbreeding has.

• Like 1

I dont see the point breeding full brother to sister, unless a accident happens.

You got 100s dogs to choose a stud that suits you. so whats point risking the breeding and inbreeding so close?

If youve only a small gene pool,or you want to fix the best points of closely related stock,inbreeding is a valuable part of sustaining a good bloodline,only when you carry on inbreeding without the use of an outcross,do genetic problems surface.

I aint no expert mate. but surley if your breeding full brother to sister in lurcher or running dogs, not terriers or fighting dogs.

There going be a fault in either the dog or the bitch if you breed the brother to sister. then surley your going be twice as much likely to have the fault magnifed more in the pups.

There is a chance of faults,selective culling,as well as breeding the bad,you breed more of what you want.

My younger bitch here is out of a mother/son mating, also accidental, she has turned out fine, I've heard that parent to offspring is ok because they get half their genes from each parent therefore your not putting the exact same into each other for example,

Sire=x Dam=y so pups are xy, so putting x to xy is fine because the genes have the y gene, and brother sister would be xy to xy? Don't know how right that is or if what I'm saying even makes sense?

my mate has a pup thats sister to brother bred and the parents to them were line bred also.. no proplem with any of the pups out of that litter

hi mate,just wondering is it possable that there may not be any physical problems on the outside but other things going wrong with them in the future :hmm:

May i ask what have the parents done? An what does the sister have that the brother doesnt? The reason i ask is you should be looking to IMPROVE what you have i.e making them dogs better than what you already have, if you could improve either the dog or the bitch what would you add? Every dog could be better in certain areas. Surley you know someone who has a dog for stud thats just as good if not better than the brother to the bitch.

:laugh: :laugh: obviously not... as i said its a friends dog

My younger bitch here is out of a mother/son mating, also accidental, she has turned out fine, I've heard that parent to offspring is ok because they get half their genes from each parent therefore your not putting the exact same into each other for example,

Sire=x Dam=y so pups are xy, so putting x to xy is fine because the genes have the y gene, and brother sister would be xy to xy? Don't know how right that is or if what I'm saying even makes sense?

The topic aint about mother to son or breeding aunts or uncles or half bro and half sisters.

Its about litter brother and sisters.

not exactly. if sire of the brother/sister mating is put at a number like 12 and dam of the brother sister is say 34, the pups get about 50% genes from each perant so the could be ether 13, 14, 23, or 24 as an example of the combo so it depends on what mix the bro/sis get, domanant and recesive genes come into play aswell.

I've always found that people who condemn inbreeding and have a ready supply of horror stories and reasons why not to, have never in fact inbred. Humans aside, (well maybe not) inbreeding this closely and tighter from resulting off spring does occur in the wild, no species would exist if not for inbreeding it's that simple. I have and know many people who have bred this way and whilst it might not have improved stock it certainly had no ill effects. I would say throwing two unrelated dogs (or whatever) together just because they are unrelated has as much chance of throwing undesirable traits as inbreeding has.

Mackay your right about wild animals inbreeding, but you have to remember these are wild animals with a hugely varied gene pool formed from millions of years of natural selection and evolution, where as the domestic dog is a completely selcetive bred and a man made species meaning it isnt likely to have as varied a gene pool,

but without getting into genetics too much, the bottom line is sibling inbreeding whilst morally questionable, at first is unlikely to cause any negative issues, but if it is repeated and repeated problems will start to occur due to the lack of gene variation,

i myself can see why it is done when making you own line that you want to breed to type and be good at what its bred for

A full brother sister mating is the closest way of breeding as they carry exactly the same genes , as mentioned some could be extremely gifted in what you want some will be completely shite , prepare to cull hard! Unfortunately you have to be able to see the entire litter at a mature age grafting before you cull much patience needed.

The only sib sib cross I've seen was in mastiffs physically they were ok no faults , but your breeding for work it's coMpletly different . Prepare for a smaller type and probably a bit of disappointment

I would say throwing two unrelated dogs (or whatever) together just because they are unrelated has as much chance of throwing undesirable traits as inbreeding has.

There is so much truth to that and......................the real prolem is that sometimes it dont even show itself until you breed again. I love to cross breed dogs. Its a friggin blast but I can tell ya that its almost impossible to know whats goin on when you do so but I still have fun with it.