Whippet x Lakeland

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice looking dog; should accelerate well! Great to see some differen mixes coming forward and I feelnthe Lakeland has a lot to add

few pics of the lad lookin for squirrel this morning

IMG]http://i1130.photobu...82/7b89bb0d.jpg[/img] this is the lad 17 in tts crackin little ferreting dog loves the rats and squirrels

Posted Images

Not decrying this cross, but would a Whippet x Lakeland or Whippet x Border be any better than a bedlington whippet.

The conformation of the bedlington compliments it to the Whippet therefore should be a faster Dog.

A good Bedlington X Whippet should work cover as good, if not better than the above crosses.

And the Bedlington has a reputation for having a good nose.

For me that is simple, if everyone agreed on what makes the perfect Lurcher there would only ever be one type. Personally I love the Beddy X but, there are so many Whippet X that will make a perfect Mooching partner for me, why stick with one type?

great topic ,lads,brought back some good memoreys,the only thing i found my bitch sufferd with ,was her ears ,she would always cut them to feck going through bramble because once she was on to somethink she would go through it like a missile happy hunting lads ATB TONY :thumbs:

• Like 1

This is my wifes jrtxwhippet, 21tts. He's a good dog, never yapped, ferrets, lamps, bushes etc. Hes half blind in one eye now which is a pity but still does the job

Nice dog, is he half blind in one eye because of an accident in cover. I always bother about my bitches eyes when she ploughs through blackthorn etc.

I think a patt or good lakeland x with a greyhound would be a useful enough x the whippet ones can be a bit to small.like em though.

i suppose,if you do a fair bit of lamping,then the taller cross is better suited, but as 4 day time i prefer the smaller terrier size

I think a patt or good lakeland x with a greyhound would be a useful enough x the whippet ones can be a bit to small.like em though.

I would have thought that there would be a lot of size and type variation when crossing with a much bigger dog: I could be wrong but I remember seeing a pup out of a Deer/Grey to a Whippet/Grey: one pup came out small Whippet size! Not what the owner wanted at all. The mind boggles when I think what a Border terrier crossed with a Greyhound might turn out like. Or would nature sort it out and bring the first cross out all more or less somewhere between the two parents in size? The next generation down being the one which could throw up a very wide variation in size. Just wondering.

hi theres some nice looking dogs there!!!!! i was wondering on peoples thoughts bout similar ish breeding of my two ferreting dogs ie:

lakeland terrier.dog

• 15 tts
  • very stocky
  • big head
  • well bred
  • i know and have dug with both his parents and grand parents
  • a very good allrounder but mainly rat n rabbit whilst ferreting
  • stock broken
  • knows the job

3/4 greyhound 1/4 bull

• reds and rabbits
  • stock broken
  • semi retrieves (bout 5m away lol)
  • 24 tts
  • good nose
  • very good ferreting dog but could do with more on the lamp
  • i own the dam works reds rabbit h (semi retired)
  • sire is a machine on the lamp takes all, worked along side it for years
  • she could do with more lamp work

any thoughts lads???

i will put pics up asap cheers

I would have thought that there would be a lot of size and type variation when crossing with a much bigger dog: I could be wrong but I remember seeing a pup out of a Deer/Grey to a Whippet/Grey: one pup came out small Whippet size! Not what the owner wanted at all. The mind boggles when I think what a Border terrier crossed with a Greyhound might turn out like. Or would nature sort it out and bring the first cross out all more or less somewhere between the two parents in size? The next generation down being the one which could throw up a very wide variation in size. Just wondering.Yes i doubt you would get a level litter,but even the small ones could make 20" plus :hmm: Ilike terrier xs but dont like the thought of getting in a greyhound breeding from it then passing it on again so doubt i will try.