Primer falling out?

Hi guys. I was reloading my 6.5x55 tonight to get ready for a deer stalking trip this weekend. I note that some of my brass (Federal) which I have used serveral time before, when I put the primer in it drop out again. The last day at the range I note some primer had drop out.

Anyone else find this?? Can the brass expand at the primer end??

Thanks

Hi guys. I was reloading my 6.5x55 tonight to get ready for a deer stalking trip this weekend. I note that some of my brass (Federal) which I have used serveral time before, when I put the primer in it drop out again. The last day at the range I note some primer had drop out.

Anyone else find this?? Can the brass expand at the primer end??

Thanks

Hi Mate, Primer pockets go over size after the case has had a few reloads, especially if the rounds are loaded to max, only thing to do is pull the bullets out ( carefully ) empty powder , get rid of the brass and buy new!!

LD

Sounds like a combination of two possible problems - cases loaded too many times coupled with powder volume at the top of the safety limit.

After several or many reloadings something has to give, usually it is the necks splitting, case separation or indeed primer pockets expanding. When you seat the primer you should always feel a resistance, if not, bite the bullet and renew your cases. Push the boat out and try Lapua - some of mine are on their 19th firing.

Peter

The make of brass has no effect on the primer pockets working loose ! I have had lapua .223 that had lose pockets after the second reload . Yes they were HOT loads.

Save your cash for stalking and use federal or remington brass it is more than up to what you need for stalking without paying through the nose for bench rest quality.

I have Remington brass that has been reloaded over 10 times with a mild load .

Primer pocket expansion can be a sign of an over pressure loading. If the cases are relatively new, with only a couple or three firings, then that's definitely indicated. If they've been fired a load of times then it could just be old age.

Regardless, any case that doesn't firmly retain the primer should be binned, and if you have a lot of cases like it then maybe rethink your loading!