harris hawk diaster gutted

coney clucky

a week ago today while out my two female harris hawks inflictedd fatal wounds to each other one was dead on my return and other diead after very costly visit to my local vets these birds were both on lawn on their bow perches tied down but on my return the larger female had managed o undo her tether and was locked onto my younger smaller female which was by now dead the older female was left with several large punture wounds to head and chest i took to vets within 30 mins but she died nextday after been put on oxygen and anti inflametry drugs and antibiotics this as been a very costly and stressing experiance for me and the wife and its given me a hard lesson in not to take tyeing the birds up and not doule checking before i leave home and its ended my plans to breed my own harris so double check them when left

Really sorry for you mate, accidents happen sometimes ,all you can do is learn from them. I've had a few that can untie knots, I've watched them do it. What they do is pick the ring up on to the perch as if it's food ,then just keep picking at the knot till it's undone. Once I'd learned this, I put the offenders on low ring perches, they can't pull the ring up on them so never showed any further interest in the knots. Blocks would work just the same. Once again really sorry , Mike.

if there bothe at hunting weight mate this will happen,i no from experience i had 2 harrises at fat weight together for 12 months,ive had birds of prey for over 25 years but i left them together at a distance apart on the lawn tied down to return not long later to find my male headless and all his chest feathers plucked,you learn everyday in this sport its a hard lesson to learn i feel for you bud it nearly made me pack in

thanks lads for your comments ive thought of packing it all up but ive learnt a hard lesson and picking myself up will try and obtain a\female and start again ive had both females for a while and was hoping to breed the older one this coming season but now ive 2 males and no female but will search the net and adds and try get another cheers lads

i thought of packing it in like i said,but you just have to put it down as a bad mistake and get on with it mate ,its a hard lesson but i will tell you now like me you will not do it again mate good luck in the future mate