LAMPING DOGS FROM VEHICLES VS LAMPING DOGS ON FOOT

we often here differences of opinion about working dogs out of a motor and working them on foot. many say you put more game infront of a dog by driving round fields etc etc and others say its better to walk etc etc.

in your opinions is there much of a difference in the quality and performance of the fully trained dogs?

is a dog that is worked from a vehicle better or worse than a dog that is worked from walking the ground?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do both,   I do prefere to lamp for the car when its possiable, Cause you do see more game round me by doing that if i tryed to walk the land we drive at night it would take me a fornight on foot.

Ya but there arse-holes they very same thing happens while on foot, Leaving game worrying stock gates left open fences cut ect ect, Youll get the idoits EVERYWHERE   When i say driving land i mean d

Do some folk do that? Whats the point in that then. Surely now you are giving the advantage to the game you run as the dogs will be getting tired? I'll just go back to the other point about 'turning

Guest born to run1083

Went the other week with a lad and done it via the truck as was surprised the distance you can cover must of been at least 10x's at least then we would of done on foot. I prefer on foot but in all fairness his way we did see a shed load more stuff but I didn't enjoy it as much. Don't think on small fields the truck would be any benefit but huge ones makes a difference

Edited to say

Aldo I don't think there's any difference in the stamina you get doing it either way as yes the dog doesn't have to walk but does much much more running and on foot they walk the distance but don't get the same runs so I think it's balanced. Lamp wise I don't see any difference in how they use the beam or how they catch

Edited by born to run1083

I do both,

I do prefere to lamp for the car when its possiable, Cause you do see more game round me by doing that if i tryed to walk the land we drive at night it would take me a fornight on foot.

Wheather iam lamping for the car or on foot i still expect all the same standered, My two will jump back through the window with there catch or if i was on foot they'd fetch back to hand, Return straight away no hunting up ect. Too be honest everything youd expect them to do they'll do it walking or driving.

Some of the best runs iv ever seen/had were beside the car on big open land down here in Northants, You can keep quarry/dog in the beam and had a few good races over the yrs,

But can walk the next night and they'll be just at home walking.....

Done properly done you can have a decent crack both ways...

• Like 5

same as tiny realy, :thumbs: of course alot depends on the land,, some of our farms up the dales it woud be impossible,,, but i have also drove some of the other farms with great results.

unlike born to run,,, when i do it , the dog is running alongside the motor already, :thumbs:

• Like 1

Isn't it a bit like cheating...? Seen it done and seen game turned from there escape route when the dog would have had no chance of catching! Would it be better dogs in the long run when walked up on foot?

lost some good permission through 4x4 hunters, tyre tracks across fields even leaving dead quarry,i just cant understand it, atb jamiew

Ya but there arse-holes they very same thing happens while on foot, Leaving game worrying stock gates left open fences cut ect ect, Youll get the idoits EVERYWHERE

When i say driving land i mean done right, Gates shut, It all boils down to the same thing RESPECT be driving or on foot

• Like 3

Isn't it a bit like cheating...? Seen it done and seen game turned from there escape route when the dog would have had no chance of catching! Would it be better dogs in the long run when walked up on foot?

in some respects lab your right it is cheating,,, but you could argue any lamping is cheating... certainly when lamping rabbits from the truck, i cheat,, of course, i drive round the field clockwise , next to the hedge, and try and get inbtween the hedge and rabbit. other game is difrent of course in where they want to go

• Like 1

Lab you can cheat,, Bending quarry back round for the dogs thats getting straight lined or total out run, Running them down afew laps of the field ect iv seen it all done and that anit the right way of doing it IMH, We always hang back and let ONE dog do all the work you stay with them just enough to keep them in the beam and the dog does the rest that our way anyway...

Theres a few tricks that make it easyer by the car and ya the answer is it is easyer by the car that why so many do it ALL my best bags have came by the car, Dont get me wrong i like walk aswell i tend to walk on my own with the one dog but round here you wont see nowhere near the same driving, But thats not to say big bags cant be had on foot look at PP/Tomo/GH/Frankel/Jim/Shaun and LOADS of others there all getting decent bags on foot season in season out but even they have to travel to the right places for it and a good few mile over the season,

I like both as i said and dont expect not diffrence from the dogs if its driving or walking

• Like 1

lamping from the motor for me . . . . theres not much tackle round me because its been hammered . . . all gated up . . . nail boards down . . . with all this farm watch bolloks they see a lamp shine across field an there streit on phone to law . . . . we travel a 140 mile round trip regulary to get plenty of sport for the dogs . . . only down side about traveling all that way is that youv got to drive all that 140 mile again the next day to go an collect the quarry . . . . :thumbs:

I do both,

I do prefere to lamp for the car when its possiable, Cause you do see more game round me by doing that if i tryed to walk the land we drive at night it would take me a fornight on foot.

Wheather iam lamping for the car or on foot i still expect all the same standered, My two will jump back through the window with there catch or if i was on foot they'd fetch back to hand, Return straight away no hunting up ect. Too be honest everything youd expect them to do they'll do it walking or driving.

Some of the best runs iv ever seen/had were beside the car on big open land down here in Northants, You can keep quarry/dog in the beam and had a few good races over the yrs,

But can walk the next night and they'll be just at home walking.....

Done properly done you can have a decent crack both ways...

Where about's in northants are you mate? PM if you prefer :thumbs: