proper weather for fowling some recent flight's on the foreshore

well i have been on holiday this last week and done nothing but shooting pheasants and wildfowling down the foreshore in good old fowling weather ..

it's the young dogs first full season this year , i had him out in feb last year 3 or 4 times but he was not properly ready for it .....

there has been a few duck about but i have had to work hard for them and i have had a few geese also ..taking a nice triple out at canadas Saturday morning ...

the young dog had what i would call a fantastic retrieve this morning and it made my week , i pulled a canada out second shot and it peeled out over the other side of the river , he marked it well and was off in fine style for his canada , i recorded it on my phone ..

i do apologize for the commentary but he is a young dog and i wanted to encourage him has much as i could , the video is not the best because it's on my phone , look for the black dot on the edge of the river , when i see how far it was i got my phone out to record it and the dog is right over the far side of the tidal river watch how the flow of the river takes him down river ...he also retrieved my right and left at wigeon out the river this morning also , i have to say he has the making of a great fowling dog , he is learning every time i take him out ...

for some reason , i can't rotate the video

click on the first pic

th_blacks5212046.jpg

shooting107.jpg

shooting095.jpg

blacks5212048.jpg

blacks5212043.jpg

blacks5212050.jpg

blacks5212052.jpg

blacks5212053.jpg

blacks5212055.jpg

Nice vid :thumbs:

Jjust out of interest how old is he and how far do you reckon he'd swam? It looks like quite a distance?

He is just over two now this is his first full season and still very full of himself , he thinks he knows best a lot of the time, then some times i let him run on when retrieving and he does surprise me at times ....

i would say it would be getting on for 300 yards to the other side of the river where the canada was floating down , he was swimming against the tide on the way over then on the way back the tide was takin him down river ...

well done sounds like a good spot you shoot there, did you dig your hide out?

it is a nice spot when the conditions are right , the dug out has been there for years since i was a teenager , someone just cleans it back out when needed ...

Good retrieve with something that big, over that distance, is that the Haven?

yes well spotted...... have you shot that area?? or been down the river in a boat ...??

Jjust out of interest how old is he and how far do you reckon he'd swam? It looks like quite a distance?

He is just over two now this is his first full season and still very full of himself , he thinks he knows best a lot of the time, then some times i let him run on when retrieving and he does surprise me at times ....

i would say it would be getting on for 300 yards to the other side of the river where the canada was floating down , he was swimming against the tide on the way over then on the way back the tide was takin him down river ...

it is a nice spot when the conditions are right , the dug out has been there for years since i was a teenager , someone just cleans it back out when needed ...

yes well spotted...... have you shot that area?? or been down the river in a boat ...??

Shot it a few times with a couple of old club members back in the 80's as a guest, dont know if they still shoot there, they moved away, so sort of lost contact, and I wish I had a boat :D

Shot it a few times with a couple of old club members back in the 80's as a guest, dont know if they still shoot there, they moved away, so sort of lost contact, and I wish I had a boat :D

thanks for all the replies ....

god the 80's it's changed a lot since then..... less ducks and geese more hassle keeping our shooting , the young dog has made another great retrieve out the same river but further up the marsh not so big this time only a mallard ..