Fox Control on a Moor Managed for Red Grouse

Hi Folks,

Anyone got any tips on shooting foxes on a Moor, I belong to a group of volunteers trying to increase the Red Grouse population on a Moor, we burn Heather and control crows numbers and now I want to tackle the foxes.

I only have a .17HMR CZ Varmint and am aware of the limited range I have. (80 - 100 Yds for Charlie) The ground is about 25 mile round trip from me and I usually go out 1 a week so want to maximise my time out there by getting all the help I can.

I have read alot about fox shooting but everything I read seems to be in an around farmland, As I am on a mountain with alot of heather I was wondering will Charlie behave any different than on lower ground ?

Are there any special tips for shooting foxes on a moor ?

I have been out a few times and seen Charlie but he hasnt came in close enough to get a clean shot( I`d rather not shoot than shoot and miss)

Any tips will be greatly appreciated, last thing I want to do is educate Charlie !

Many Thanks

if you cant get near to them and you do not have access to larger calibre rifles for longer shooting ranges there are a couple of other options.you could try baiting and drawing them into a specific area in order to ambush them or a try nighvision equipment.atb

I shoot on grouse moor also.

If possible try and get them down to the lower ground, or to areas where the cover is lower, such as the surrounding grazing/pasture. The .17hmr is easily deflected through even the flimsiest of undergrowth and even grass, so a shot at charlie in heather is a no no unless you have a clear shot at its head/chest.

The other bit of advice that works well for me but it requires alot of time and effort, and a considerable amount of fieldcraft and planning, is to find out where it lays up in the daytime, (often in rock dens but also in the open in sheltered south facing hollows) and ambush them as they leave or return at dusk and dawn.

You can also take note of where you have seen it in the lamp hunting first thing after it leaves its den, or where you have seen it first thing in the morning and concentrate your calling on those spots, but not for long if it doesnt come.

January and early february are also cracking months for catching them out at all time of the day, when you wouldnt normally see them, and its not unusual to catch 2 or 3 together in broad daylight, so keep your eyes peeled and use a good set of binos to scan the ground properly for any sign of fox. This gives you the one big advantage. Once you know where he is, you can plan his death.

As somebody else has already suggested, bait an area, and if you can get a local farmer or shepherd to drop you off a lamb carcase even better, as they will keep coming to this religously every night.

There are many other ways, and usually I would suggest a midden, but that will be no use if you can only check it once a week.

All the best. Think like a fox and hunt like a fox.

• Like 2

Thanks tegater, dogvixen01, dymented.

All good advice, will upgrade to a larger calibre at some stage, but as money is tight i`ll have to use 17hmr and improve my fieldcraft for the meantime.

Will give the baiting a go, there is a few areas with little or no heather so a clean shot can be got if i get him into that zone.

I,ve read that Charlie likes to use laneways and tracks quite often, in your experience would this be a good place for the bait ?

Thanks again lads

FTB - I`m from Mid Ulster, Northern Ireland.

With family and work commitments and also our DIY Pheasant shoot I cant get to the moor that often, only once, twice a week at most, and only a few of us so snaring would not be possible, but yes it would be a good idea if i could be there more often.

There is about three wooded areas not too far away that I reckon they are coming from.

J18hud

yes that would be a good spot for a bait, tie the bait down it will keep him there longer, drag an opened carcase on a string from the areas you think he may appear from the baited area, sit and wait, if you get one stay put dont go near it, at this time of year you will prob get a chance at another one within a short time, be mindfull of the wind, on a moore you will be winded very quickly if your in the open. if you can use a trail cam it will help you out alot if your time is limited.

• Like 2

i believe snares are supposed to be checked once a day by law .worth checking this out first before you decide to try some.or if there are a few of you arrange to go on alternative days ,that way you can cover more of the week and check snares.if you decide to snare , check along fences for runs ,you can sometimes see their fur stuck to the fence.these runs could then be marked up ,with tape etc so they can be easily identified and checked by you and others .alternatively you could ask for help from other people who live by you who shoot foxes.if you do ask other people make sure they have a licence and shooting insurance.atb

Edited by dogvixen01

FTB - I`m from Mid Ulster, Northern Ireland.

With family and work commitments and also our DIY Pheasant shoot I cant get to the moor that often, only once, twice a week at most, and only a few of us so snaring would not be possible, but yes it would be a good idea if i could be there more often.

There is about three wooded areas not too far away that I reckon they are coming from.

J18hud

your across the water bud use one of these

gallery_60502_4978_2111293.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, firstly i'd recomend you apply for a larger rifle. .243 or one of the .22 centrefires, and also snaring, one of the best tools for serious fox control, as another member said, they are on duty 24/7, very useful, but perhaps not best suited to your situation at the moment if you cannot get there daily to check them as required by law, hope this is of some help, cheers.

• Like 1

The thing most people forget as stoats, weasels, crows and other flying shite are equally as damaging to breeding stock as foxes are. Try and get to grips with the range of vermin as much as anything else. Get the place laced with fenn traps. Every dyke, river and nook and cranny.

If snaring is totally out of the question, then you need to seriously think about alternative methods. I agree a larger rifle will be needed, get the hounds in to hunt up the woods and hill fringes, utilise terriers etc etc.

ATB

FTB

• Like 1