Cartridges

Always used bb cartridges for fox control just wondered if anyone uses anything different and is there anything that gives you a bit more range and knockover without needing to change your chokes ect ......

mini mags or magnums do the job at a bit more range. I just tend to use the same cartridge as you would anything else like 30 - 32 grm 5-6's or 36grm at a push. Just make sure ye hit em in the right place and it doesn't really matter what you use(within reason) :D;)

Smudge

Not a lot you can do without changing chokes and going for bigger shells, just enjoy the skill involved with getting um close. I wanted a bit more range so went the full hog of Benelli M1 3 1/2" mag with an imported from the sates super turkey choke and remington 60gram no.1 buffered shells and that shreds tin gallon oil containers at 60 yards but I use it a lot so it was worth the investment.

Leon

Guest baldie

Give over Smudge, the only time you should shoot number sixes at a fox, is when its staring back at you in a hole. BB,s or number one,s in the heaviest cartridge your gun will chamber, and get as close as you possibly can. The times i,ve been on fox drives, and all the usual pheasant shooting guns turn up, with pockets full of sixes, expecting to shoot foxes. It is not bloody acceptable, to subscribe to their stupid feckin theory, that is " if i hit it, and wound it with sixes, it doesnt matter, it will die anyway, and its one less to eat the pheasants" :realmad: :realmad:

Give over Smudge, the only time you should shoot number sixes at a fox, is when its staring back at you in a hole. BB,s or number one,s in the heaviest cartridge your gun will chamber, and get as close as you possibly can. The times i,ve been on fox drives, and all the usual pheasant shooting guns turn up, with pockets full of sixes, expecting to shoot foxes. It is not bloody acceptable, to subscribe to their stupid feckin theory, that is " if i hit it, and wound it with sixes, it doesnt matter, it will die anyway, and its one less to eat the pheasants" :realmad:  :realmad:

well said

Guest whippet

I agree also Baldie, the one and only fox I have shot was with sixes, but that's cos I squeaked it into 15 yards and shot it with my top 3/4 choke barrel at its head. Even as a novice I can see that 6's are not the right cartridge for the job if you are intentionally going after foxes, it would be alright for close up shots of opportunity but even vermin deserve respect.

BBs and close as well. Hulmax, 34grms always works for me. Been on many drives, bushing do's (birds only, no ground game etc) and the times a charlie has come through...I've always put the gun up to him (with 6s in) then blasphemed the fecker :angry: ! We always tend to catch up with him in the end. Those particular days are his. We have ours as well :good: . Well said Baldie.

There's no way I'd use 5-6 crtridges for fox control as the b*****ds can run off when you are using BB's :blink::blink: and they deserve respect when you are out , everything should be killed appropriately and to me this is cleanly and as quickly as possible

thanks for the replies

The shot pattern is a hell of alot better than the pattern on bb's ie, ye have more chance of hittin and killin the fox. Fair enough use a heavier load but it ye using sixes theres less holes in the pattern. You can just as easily injure a fox wi BB's as ye can wi 6's.

Smudge

Guest baldie

Of course there is going to be more holes in the pattern smudge, there are a hell of a lot less pellets in a bb cartridge. Anything over 15 yards, and the number six pellet does not have enough weight to penetrate deep enough into a fox to kill it.Very few foxes are ever hit with the full pattern, whatever shell is used, unless you can take an aimed shot at one sat there, because it doesnt know you are there.A clean kill with a shotgun, is a combination of pattern, and correct shot size for enough penetration, if you have one without the other, you will wound.There is nothing big or clever about purposely using the wrong shot size, it shows lack of respect for the quarry, and adds fuel to the anti,s fire. Sooner or later, the anti,s and the public will realise there are a hell of a lot of wounded foxes walking about, then legislation will follow, if they dont ban shooting them, a shot size limit will come in, just as non toxic shot came in for wildfowl.Use your loaf, if you cant use the proper shot size for fox, dont shoot at them, and most definatly dont give "advice" like that on a public forum.

Fair enough i can take your point but on the matter of steel shot for wildfowl we have had more injured geese walking around since this law came in that ever before. I know that the purpose of this law is to stop toxicating waters with lead but there is side effects as there always is. ;)

Smudge

Guest baldie

Totally agree smudge, since the introduction of non toxic shot, there must be double the amount of wounded birds, and god knows hom many more dentists visits, can you see my point now buddy? the less outside interference, the better. :yes: