"the long retrieve"

just watched the new BASC film on youtube "the long retrieve" .

ive been thinking about a chesapeake bay retriever for a while now and think this has sealed it for me.

what a retrieve! i was wondering if anybody on here works the CBR and has any advice on the breed?

i have read what i can on the internet, i was just looking for some first hand experience.

also if anybody hasnt seen the clip yet i would sugest looking up "the long retrieve" in youtube, its awsome!

atb ant

i have a pup on at the moment she is only 14 weeks old , and is showing good signs, she went in the river at 11 week of her own accord , so i tossed a dummy in 6 times and she fetched every time. this is the first gun dog ive owned , so i don't really know what to expect but she will do for me. pm me if you have any questions

Lovely video . . . . i would think though that any breed of gundog that enjoys water retrieves would do the same, i wouldn't choose a chesepeake on that footage. The lab i have hear would do the same no problem. :victory:

Big head..... :whistling::laugh:

Dont get me wrong its a cracking retrieve but the dog will have done it plenty of times, it would be a piece of piss for it.

• Like 1

Lovely video . . . . i would think though that any breed of gundog that enjoys water retrieves would do the same, i wouldn't choose a chesepeake on that footage. The lab i have hear would do the same no problem. :victory:

Dont get me wrong its a cracking retrieve but the dog will have done it plenty of times, it would be a piece of piss for it.

Its not my fault i have a faultless second hand gundog :D . . . . don't be jel be reem! :tongue2:

Its not my fault i have a faultless second hand gundog :D . . . . don't be jel be reem! :tongue2:

You must just be lucky like me then.............. ;)

You must just be lucky like me then.............. ;)

Amen to luck. ;)

I have 4 chessies {2 males and 2 females}. 2 workers and 2 pups that are being brought along quietly . that retrieve was ok but any good fowling dog will do that. chessie's are great dogs just do alot of research before finally deciding if they are the dogs for you . there is alot to consider before buying one and there are a few health issues with them so do your research first.

• 2 weeks later...

In the right hands a chessie can be a fantastic working dog but don't buy one expecting it to be as easily trained as a lab. They can have a tendency to be quite highly strung but it really stands to them when it comes to chasing a wounded duck or pulling a goose out of a think rush. Just my opinion but I don't think they can do anything a lab wont and you wont have to put as much training into the lab. I've owned both.